News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE410 wiring

Started by mentalstampede, October 14, 2014, 05:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mentalstampede

I have just acquired my first 410 and am attempting to understand the options for wiring this thing. I believe the diagram I have shows an option for wiring it up as a single line phone with the rotary switch functioning as a ringer cut off, and this seems like the way that I would like to set this phone up.

Am I understanding this correctly.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

WesternElectricBen

I think you could wire it as a ringer cut-off, but I do not think a 410 was intended for that use.

I'm pretty sure the 410 was intended for a 2 line telephone, and nothing more or less.

Ben

mentalstampede

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on October 14, 2014, 05:41:19 PM
I think you could wire it as a ringer cut-off, but I do not think a 410 was intended for that use.

I'm pretty sure the 410 was intended for a 2 line telephone, and nothing more or less.

Ben

One line pickup with ringer cutoff is listed in the diagram: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/doc_view/2175-400-series-telephones-410a-tl

SO far, the most challenging part looks to be telling the color difference in these old faded wires.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

WesternElectricBen

poplar1

You can move the incoming line one wires (red and green) from 1 and 2 on the terminal strip inside the phone to L1 and L2 terminals on the same terminal strip.

Connect the red ringer wire to 3 and the yellow condenser wire to 4. (The black ringer wire and slate condenser wire should already be on K). Then you will have dial tone regardless of which way the key is turned, and the key can be used to turn the ringer on and off.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

The diagram says "CUTOFF EXT OR RINGER" connected to 3 and 4. However, if you look at Table D, under single line, you'll see that they are talking about "extension cutoff" or " ringer cutoff (external ringer)." For one line pickup and "ringer cutoff (ringer in set)" the ringer connects to 3 and K, and the capacitor (yellow) to 4 and (slate) to K.

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/doc_details/2175-400-series-telephones-410a-tl

mentalstampede

That's what I'm going for. I appear to have a bad handset cord though. :( hopefully OPW will have something appropriate. I don't want to put cloth cords on this one.

mentalstampede

Actually, not a bad handset cord after all. but I'm suspecting a bad capacitor. The ringer coils have proper impedance, but the phone refuses to ring regardless of the position of the switch.

poplar1

Did you try the ringer before rewiring the phone?

If not, try connecting the ringer circuit directly to the line, without the switch. That is, red ringer wire connected to the red incoming line; yellow capacitor wire to the green incoming line; black ringer and slate capacitor to K.

mentalstampede

Yeah, I tried that. My brother has a capacitance meter, and it shows a big fat zero on the condenser. So I need to locate a good condenser.

mentalstampede

I just tried a known good capacitor--not a proper 195b, but a capacitor nonetheless.

With the red ringer wire on L1 on the coil, the black ringer wire to K, and the capacitor on K and L2Y, the phone rings.  Connecting the ringer circuit to 3 and 4 the phone doesn't ring.

poplar1

If you have the green-white wire from the key going to the L2-Y on the induction coil, and the red-white key wire to L1 on the induction coil, then the switch should connect the induction coil terminals to 1 and 2 when the key is turned one way, and 3 and 4 the other way.

The blue wire from the key goes to 3
The black wire from the key goes to 4

mentalstampede

Oops! for some reason I mistook the red-white wire for the red-slate wire and had it connected to the S terminal.

Ops checked it and it works!

Thanks for the help, Dave!

Now I just need to find a condenser and a serviceable handset cord.  The black conductor has a bad spot on the inside of the phone. It's a shame, because the cord appears to be in great shape everywhere else.