News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I just bought this. Am I crazy? (I think I may be)

Started by LarryInMichigan, February 06, 2010, 08:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?itemid=5783361
( dead link 06-19-21 )

I felt sorry for this phone and thought that I might be able to rehabilitate it.  It looks like it used to be an Imperial before someone mutilated it.  I expect that it will be needing a replacement hook switch plunger.  Hopefully, the handset can be patched without it looking too obvious.  if anyone has any suggestions, such as where to find ivory paint that matches, I would appreciate them

Larry

Jim Stettler

I think it is probably an authentic "Telephone Pioneers" lamp. They converted 1,000's of old Imperials in to lamps. I think they lamps are missing the plunger, but other than and a hole in the handset it should be good.

I would keep it as a lamp (assuming that it is safely wired, which it probably is).
Put it in your phone area with a 100+  watt equiv. Compact forescant. You will enjoy the light.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

gpo706

Not crazy at all.

Use it as a lamp for a while then when you get a plunger, start a "deconvertion".
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Doug Rose

The dial and the cloth curly cord are worth the money alone. It looks like the plate is good on the base of the 202. Nice find for parts or a cool lamp....Doug
Kidphone

Jester

Larry,
I'll have to dig, but I have a plunger assy. & switch pile, plus an intact Ivory handset.  PM me if interested.
Stephen

LarryInMichigan

The phone/lamp just arrived, and it is worse than I had expected.  The receiver, aside from a nasty hole through the center, is in fairly good condition, but the wires from the handset cord were completely chopped off at both ends of the cord, and the transmitter and receiver elements are missing.  The entire plunger assembly is missing, as is the entire hook switch.  Worse yet, half of the dial is missing.  The dial is marked "5-50" and "5I" or maybe "51".  Here is a picture of the inside.

Larry

Dan/Panther

Larry;
The only issue I can see is find the hook assembly, the rest of the parts are common and easy to find, If you find the hook cheap enough, you did good.
Being the handset is painted, patching that won't be an issue. Even another one is not very expensive.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

LarryInMichigan

D/P,

The biggest problem is that all of the switches and contacts are missing from the dial, which is a real shame, because the front of the dial is in good shape.  I sent a message to Steve Hilsz asking if he has the missing dial parts.

Also, I would really like to install a mini network into the base.  As far as I am aware, the AE mini networks sold by Phoneco should fit.  Does anyone know if this is not the case?

At least the finish of the D1 shell seems to be in good condition.

Larry

Wallphone

bingster

The handset cord should be repairable.  Many of us have had to cut them that way intentionally, to get rid of flaky conductors.  You'll need to move the restraints back and scavenge the spades off another handset cord, though.
= DARRIN =

LarryInMichigan

I expect to be able to salvage the cord, but I just discovered that the hole through the handset goes through one of the conductors to the receiver.  The handset core is solid, so there is no way to run a new wire.  Since ivory painted handsets are very expensive, I think I might try my luck at painting a black F1.  I have a couple of spares, and one of them is mostly brown anyway.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

I finally reassembled the Imperial from an assortment of parts.  I salvaged the handset cord by adding wires to the ends (I did not want to make it any shorter).  I painted a badly worn F1 handset ivory.  I took the contact pile from another #5 dial.  It looks pretty good now.  The gold plating is in great condition.

Larry

Jim Stettler

That is an astounding transformation.
That painted handset sure looks like plastic from here.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Kenny C

Quote from: Jim S. on October 14, 2010, 08:51:21 PM
That is an astounding transformation.
That painted handset sure looks like plastic from here.

Jim

I second that. It looks wonderful
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dennis Markham

That is an awesome looking Imperial, Larry.  Great job!  Can you post a "before" photo?  The one that was at the link at the start of the thread is gone.