News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Craigslist phone $60

Started by MagicMo, January 02, 2013, 10:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicMo

I saw this ad. It looks like a cool phone to me.
Maureen

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/atq/3467289665.html
( dead link 04-21-21 )
Practice Kindness :)

LarryInMichigan

I have seen that phone listed.  The seller has been trying to sell it for a long time.  I think that it might be the Indian version of the British GPO 300 series.  If it is the Indian version, it is probably not worth so much.

Larry

MagicMo

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on January 02, 2013, 10:38:02 PM
I have seen that phone listed.  The seller has been trying to sell it for a long time.  I think that it might be the Indian version of the British GPO 300 series.  If it is the Indian version, it is probably not worth so much.

Larry

The more I learn about vintage phones the more I realize I know nothing! LOL
Thanks Larry
Maureen
Practice Kindness :)

LarryInMichigan

Perhaps one of our British members could comment on this phone.  The finger wheel and finger stop do not look British to me, but I may be wrong.  Someone could ask the seller for more info about what it molded into the handset or printed on the bottom. 

Larry

gpo706

it's very hard to tell from the pictures, if its GPO would normally have a chrome fingerwheel, could be modified.

The braided hand and line cord don't look like an Indian version though.

As said before ask for any details on the base or whats on the handset.

Mind you, saying that I got a AEP 312 which I couldn't identify at first, same as a GPO unit but made in Portugal under GPO licence.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

OldAussieGuy

Hi
It looks about right as an early British 332 with plaited cord and pull out tray and I don't think the finger stop shape is an issue as I have 3 variations in my collection.
The black finger plate is wrong. We used black plastic finger plates on some of the Australian 400 series (similar body but different handset to 332). The 400 series was a stopgap Australian model between 300 series bakelite bodied phones and the plastic 800 series.
The black plastic finger plate was compatible with the metal type so this example may simply be a retrofitted Aussie part on an early British made 332. Alternatively someone may have got carried away with a spraycan of black paint.

twocvbloke

The dial appears to be a No. 21 type, from the GPO 700 series, retrofitted into the 300's case (I have no clue how thy fit, never had one!!), the rest from what I can just barely make out looks to be correct, just replace the dial with a No. 12 and it'll be original I'm sure... :)

The easiest way to spot an ITI clone though is the dial, the fingerstop always has a fairly obvious gap between itself and the 0, the original GPO dial fingerstops are always right next to the 0, be it the no. 12 or no. 21 dials... :)

More info here on spotting the ITI models:

http://www.britishtelephones.com/iti.htm

http://www.britishtelephones.com/collect.htm

rdelius

Never seen a drawer on an ITI set

twocvbloke

Quote from: rdelius on January 03, 2013, 10:41:24 AM
Never seen a drawer on an ITI set

And you won't, cos they put all the components on the baseplate, where the drawer would go on a genuine GPO phone, so there's nowhere to fit one... :)

rdelius

Some ITI sets are assebled with a sub chassis like the British ones .Raw brass finish and not as nicely made.