News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Yellow Bell family wall phone is finally mounted!

Started by Bill Cahill, January 10, 2011, 10:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Cahill

;D
Well, it's 2 years late, photos aren't the best, but, finally, I have my ebay won Bell systems 1964 canary Yellow wall phone properly mounted on my kitchen wall. I'm proud of it. This was the second phone we had in the kitchen.
Interesting note.
Though slightly lower on wall, The phone is mounted on the same physical wall next to doorway leading to hall, as it was in my parent's house. ;D
Here are two pictures of it.......

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

guitar1580

Way to go Bill.  Looks identical to the one in my kitchen.  Nothing like a yellow hardwired 554 for the kitchen.  Mine  has a DSL filter squeezed into the upper right corner, and an extra long handset cord.  I can stretch that handset into 3 other rooms while I'm talking, and I use it every day.  I also have a 2nd touchtone phone for fast dialing & automated prompt messages.

Got my yellow one out of a barn, covered with mud and manure.  Cleaned up like new.

Grew up with a green one on my parents' kit/DR doorway, and have a mint one like it now.

Great phone!

Josh P

Bill Cahill

Mine's got a 25' cord, but, it's getting ratty. Dan Panther says he has one he can sell me. Looking forward to it. I use this phone alot, along with my 1957 Black desk phone in living room.
I want to put my 302 in my display room, but, it has a very bad receiver cord, and, a black wall phone from 50's on the side o my work bench.
Bill Cahill ;D

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

guitar1580

Here's my old faithful.  I use it every day. 

Back in the 60's, we never knew that the top ridges were for hanging the handset momentarily.  We'd always let it hang from the cord, where it would just rest on the floor, and still swing around enough to bang on the wall, giving the person on the other end an earfull of noise I'm sure.

Josh

Dennis Markham

Bill & Josh, nice yellow phones.  Josh it looks like you keep the volume low, hey?

bingster

Only you would have spotted that, Dennis.  ;)

Nice installations, guys.
= DARRIN =

guitar1580

Haha, good eye Dennis!   I'm surprised you didn't catch the telltale red nail polish around the dial bezel from my girlfriend.

Actually the ringer is disconnected on that one.  I have so many phones connected, if they all rang, it may smoke the lines.

JP

Dennis Markham

No, I didn't notice the red until you mentioned it.  :)

Dan/Panther

Quote from: guitar1580 on January 12, 2011, 09:06:05 PM
Haha, good eye Dennis!   I'm surprised you didn't catch the telltale red nail polish around the dial bezel from my girlfriend.

Actually the ringer is disconnected on that one.  I have so many phones connected, if they all rang, it may smoke the lines.

JP

JP;
Tell Her Gheez!, at least wait to talk on the phone until your nails are dry.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Bill Cahill

Thanks. Mine's set for full volume.
I wish I could find an insert for that dial.
I cleanned up the case, and, it actually looks better than the picture.
I'm happy I've replaced one of the family phones. Actually, I have two other replacements. I have a black desk phone like the one we had in living room, and, it's being used in my living room, and, I have a slightly later black 302 that's awaiting replacement wires. Dan Panther said he might have those.
He's also got a better coilde cord for my wall phone. The outside plastic is turning into cement.
Bill Cahill

jsowers

Josh and Bill--nice yellow 554s you both have. My kitchen 554 is also at full volume. When I had a phone tech in my driveway to repair my phone line about five months ago, he fixed my phone line and then dialed my number with his cell phone and we could both hear that 554 ring through the brick wall.

Josh, I like your Griswold cast iron frying pans. I have my mom's 10" Griswold from about 1951. It has quite a patina on it. I make cornbread in it every now and then. Works great!
Jonathan

Tom B

Tom

guitar1580

Thx guys.  Yes the Griswold skillets are great.  I like making fried potatoes with onions, peppers, and garlic in mine.

Yes Tom, you have as good an eye as Dennis.  That would be my 1978 Kramer bass with the aluminum neck.  It weighs a ton, and plays & sounds great.  I'm more of a guitarist, but I fool around on the bass a little too.  Do you play?

Josh

Here's a pic I took of it a while back

Tom B

Josh
I was a pro bassist in my youth - moved around the UK and Europe - I still have a beautiful 70's block inlay Fender Jazz Bass which struts it's stuff from time to time, a gorgeous C flute and nifty Yamaha 70's piccolo.
Good times....

That's a nice bass. Bet it really bumps'n'grinds
Tom