News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"Swing-out" upper bracket phase-out date?

Started by RotarDad, April 09, 2017, 01:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotarDad

Question - Does anyone know when the "swing-out" bracket (which holds the bell and gong assembly in the upper) was phased out by WE?  Every early 191G I've seen from '49 has this bracket.  I've seen a near-NOS '54 191G which had the the later chute assembly.  My '51 191 also has the later assembly.  I've not found any info on the timing of this change.  My guess is that once the lead chutes were replaced with stainless, there was no longer any need for more complex steel swing-out assembly.  This would imply a switch very soon after the '49 intro of the 19X series.  Jim or Stan?  Thanks!
Paul

Payphone installer

You are correct, once 10 cents was the rate there was no longer any need to adapt to the older type chute.
Keep in mine first you had the release of the stainless chute to replace the lead chute because it was better.
First seen in the 155G or 55G stainless chute with the nickle relay but not the bell and gong.  I have seen them on many occasions without the relay. Meaning the chute was used prior to 10 cents. On the A/E Gray side they modified the lead chutes.

RotarDad

Thanks, Jim.  That makes sense.  I think I remember reading somewhere that early 191 phones shipped with some type of component that allowed easy change between 5¢ and 10¢ mode.  That timeframe was the beginning of the transition to the higher price calls, which was implemented at different times across the country.
Paul