News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

celluloid dial plate question

Started by cchaven, October 11, 2010, 06:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cchaven

Would sitting in a room with a fluorescent light cause a celluloid dial plate, a 149B, to deteriorate more?  It's currently yellow'd but otherwise in good shape and I don't want it to get worse.  There's no sunlight or windows in the room, as it's below ground.  If it's going to be an issue though, I was thinking of putting a later 150 series plate in it's place.

Jeff

Sargeguy

Are you using the phone?  If so, replace the dial plate.  Otherwise I think there is nothing much you can do unless you put it in a darkened room.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Jim Stettler

I never gave it much thought.
It did come out on the forum that Flourescent light does contain UV and probably shouldn't be used in your display area.

I did some checking. You can get UV Sleeves for the tubes , or you can buy UV filtered lamps. I was told the lamps would probably be the cheaper route.

The new trend in display lighting is LED and Fiber optic.

I would just get the sleeves or lamps (I, myself,  probably wouldn't worry about it until it was to late  ;D )  That is just me tho.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

cchaven

Quote from: Sargeguy on October 11, 2010, 11:24:04 PM
Are you using the phone?  If so, replace the dial plate.  Otherwise I think there is nothing much you can do unless you put it in a darkened room.

I don't keep my ivory 302 out on display for this very reason.  It has discolored like all of them have but it's actually in pretty nice shape and hasnt seemed to deteriorate since I've gotten it.  It was rather difficult to open for the first time though!

Jeff

Sargeguy

You could always use incandescent light
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

cchaven

Quote from: Sargeguy on October 12, 2010, 05:53:06 PM
You could always use incandescent light

Well I could, but I've pretty much changed everything over to the compact fluorescent bulbs in place of the incandescents.  They last a lot longer.

Jeff

Jim Stettler

They are making more and more varieties of the CF lamps. You can probably find UV filtered ones now, or within the next couple of years.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.