"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wiring a jack for a Princess with switch

Started by Lee58, June 11, 2017, 09:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee58

Please
Which wires to the jack for use of one line and light? They all have stripes.
Thank you

TelePlay

This is the wall end of the line cord, right? That is a lot of pairs for a line cord. This could be a two line Princess.

If so, you have to take the case off of the Princess to see which pair is hooked up to L1 and L2 and which pair is hooked up to the light.

The pair that goes to the phone's lamp may need an external (wall wart) power transformer - depending on the age of the Princess phone.

Photos of the inside wiring will also be helpful.

==================

Edit: Two line Princess is a 712B variant

http://www.paul-f.com/wePrincess.html#702

poplar1

712B
Connect line  to White-Blue  and Blue-White ("3" and "1" on the terminal strip inside the phone.)

6-8 volts AC to Green-Yellow and Yellow-Green. (4 and 3 on the lamp terminal board.)

BSP 502-701-101 Issue 1, TCI Library
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Victor Laszlo

This is the wall end of the line cord, right? That is a lot of pairs for a line cord. This could be a two line Princess.

>>> Correct.

If so, you have to take the case off of the Princess to see which pair is hooked up to L1 and L2 and which pair is hooked up to the light.

>>> Nope, you don't.

The pair that goes to the phone's lamp may need an external (wall wart) power transformer - depending on the age of the Princess phone.

>>> It's non-modular, so it was made well before LED dial lamps were introduced in CS models.  You need a 2012A transformer.

Photos of the inside wiring will also be helpful.

>>> The info is all in the BSP

You have a yellow, two-line, non-modular Princess. Probably a 712. Can you tell us the model number stamped on the base? That phone is pretty rare, so I would strongly recommend that you restore the line cord. The cord needs to have spade lugs installed. The lugs and the crimping tool to install them used to be available at Radio Shack. 

The advice about consulting the BSP is correct. No need to guess what all the conductors are for. Look at 502-701-101.

Line 1 = Blue-white pair.
Line 2 = Brown-white pair.

Lamp = Green-yellow pair

No ringer. Equipped for exclusion and can be converted to A-lead control.

Lee58

Yes that is the end of the line cord.
I have a transformer for light.

Lee58

not sure if pics are good enough
Will pick up some spades. Thank you

Lee58

The problem with figuring the wires is that none of them are a solid color. Also I am still learning. Not A pro.

TelePlay

Twisted pairs are complimentary. For example, white with a blue stripe goes with blue with a wide stripe. That makes it easy to determine the same pair at each end of the cord. In multiple pairs cords, color means less than getting the connections right. For example, if you decide to attach the white green / green white to your transformer, you can the easily find the same pair on the other end to connect to the lamp terminals.

Lee58

thanks
Also if someone could please direct me to the  BSP 502-701-101 Issue 1, TCI Library  that has been suggested I will go have a look.

TelePlay

Quote from: Lee58 on June 12, 2017, 01:19:45 AM
thanks
Also if someone could please direct me to the  BSP 502-701-101 Issue 1, TCI Library  that has been suggested I will go have a look.

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/2936-502-701-101-i1-reference-712b-telephone-sets-tl

Note: the BSP states W-BR (white with brown stripe) and  BR-W (brown with white stripe) for line 2 and  W-BL (white/blue stripe) and BL-W (blue/white stripe) for line 1. If your original line cord was never removed from the phone, then these would be the colored pairs you would use at the wall to connect to line 1 and line 2.

Green/yellow stripe and Yellow/green stripe are noted as the pair connected to the phone's lamp so would be the pair attached to the power transformer at the wall.

That should get you started.

poplar1

Go to telephonecollectors.info and type 502-701-101 in the search box.

The round black part is a transmitter used with the 1A Home Interphone. The second line on the phone was used to communicate with other family members or a visitor at the front door.

If you will look near the lamp, you should be able to identify the G-Y    and Y-G wires on 4 and 3 of the terminal board associated with the lamp. They will be a mostly green wire with yellow spots (G-Y), and a mostly yellow wire with green spots (Y-G).

Likewise, the mostly white wire with the blue spots (W-BL) and the blue wire with white spots (BL-W) should be on 3 and 1 of the other terminal strip. After looking at the above 4 wires inside the phone, you should be able to find the other end of each wire.

poplar1

Quote from: Victor Laszlo on June 11, 2017, 10:13:38 PM

>>> It's non-modular, so it was made well before LED dial lamps were introduced in CS models.  You need a 2012A transformer.

CS (Consumer Sales) Princess sets, introduced ca. 1983, did not have dial lamps/night lights. The Signature 2703BM Princess set, introduced ca. 1992, did have an LED dial that was line powered, but still required a transformer for the night light option. The Signature series sets were for lease only.

Lee58

Thanks great info. Unfortunately I just got back from shopping for spades to find out all the Radio Shack stores in my area have been closed. And there were no other options.
So Ebay it is.  And I was already to tackle this. :) To be continued... LOL

HarrySmith

Before you order any spades or crimping tool check out the topic on here about crimping & tools. It will be very helpful to ensure you get the correct stuff on the fist try.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Quote from: Lee58 on June 12, 2017, 04:52:40 PM
Thanks great info. Unfortunately I just got back from shopping for spades to find out all the Radio Shack stores in my area have been closed. And there were no other options.
So Ebay it is.  And I was already to tackle this. :) To be continued... LOL

Heh, heh. While Harry was posting, I was compiling the following.

You also need the proper crimper for good crimps. This is one of many and this link, while being 4 pages long on crimpers, shows the one most people have/prefer.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4071.msg175922#msg175922

There is one for sale here for $11 plus shipping (scroll down to the 6th item - the red handle crimper). There are other sources but usually never on eBay anymore and prices plus shipping vary. I think the above link was the cheapest when that link was first posted.

=============================

These spade lugs are about $0.08 each from DigiKey, cheapest I've found anywhere. I bought 250 from them for just $17.57 plus $1.06 tax and $3.21 shipping for a total of 250 spade lugs for a total of $21.84 or $0.087 each. They are yellow in color.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/61498-1/A29922CT-ND/294360

They sell 100 for $8.15 plus $3.36 shipping plus tax for about $12.50 or $0.125 each. Hard to find them cheaper anywhere, unless you just want a few and don't mind paying a bit more for less inventory you will never use.

They also have this in light gray for a little bit more

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/61498-2/A29923CT-ND/294361

============================

I just checked eBay and there are some for sale anywhere from $0.50 to $1.00 each in small quantities.

============================

The above spade lug links are also now posted in the crimper topic for future reference in one place.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4071.msg188457#msg188457