News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Finally got my Gray 500!

Started by Dan, May 27, 2009, 10:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

Sometimes it pays to look closely at auctions. I didn't want the item, just the phone ! After a bunch of questions it's a '58 all matching soft plastic. Now I am like Dan/Panther! It ran me $80 plus shipping. Now I have  only the holy trinity left in soft plastic to get--Mediteranean Blue, Oxford Grey, and Rose beige. (also need a soft yellow, which seems unusually elusive!). Finlover has a beautiful yellow up now, but it's not soft plastic. But it IS Gorgeous

http://tinyurl.com/p9v32e  ( dead link 02-28-22 )
Ashtray with gray phone

http://tinyurl.com/qqvfvj  ( dead link 02-28-22 )
Fins beautiful yellow
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

benhutcherson

Very nice-looks like a good one.

I was watching a blue 500 last week on Ebay, which looked really promising with a gray handset cord. It was at about $25 until the last 30 seconds, and I was set to pay about $80 for it. As you can see, it nearly doubled my maximum bid :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=280344252617
( dead link 02-28-22 )

Dan

I was watching that one too. The end time was during work. That's a good price for a med. blue, seriously
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan/Panther

Dan;
You asked them if they wanted to sell the phone and they said yes. Great deal.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan

I really think the  light gray are unusual. I have never seen one in person. I think your grey was a '58 too, wasn't it Dan/p?

Dan/Panther

Yes it's an all matching number 11-58.
D/P

finlover

Congrats, Dan!  Nice score for $80!  I like the light gray, too.  Mine's a '60 I think and was already in mint original condition when I got it.  Now the hunt is on for a 500 in the darker Oxford Gray.  The last one of those I bid on went for over $1,000--YIKES!!

Thanks for the compliment on my yellow one!  I'm afraid it's not worthy of your collection.  For some reason, early yellow 500s with matching numbers are really hard to find.  

Here are a couple of shots of a gray '61 that came to me covered in black spray paint.  It was hell getting that stuff off!  This one's from a couple years ago when I was first getting into phone restoration, so please excuse the cheesy number card and sketchy photography.

McHeath

QuoteFor some reason, early yellow 500s with matching numbers are really hard to find. 

Yeah I've noticed.  Herewhileback I found a yellow 500 in a junk store for a few bucks, turned it over and the base date was 5/55.  Had the little leather feeties, black base, and oooo I got excited.  But then I noticed the modular cords, the handset said "Bell system property", and the dial did not have the little stub at the fingerstop.  Bought it anyway, and everything but the base, network and ringer were from the late 70's.

AET

I like your cheesy number card by the way.
- Tom

Jester

Finlover,
Pictured below is my two-tone Oxford Grey set that I posted elswhere on this site.  I have had this for years, and am quite happy if it's the only one I find in this color-- especially after hearing what some are wiiling to give for them!  I don't have the original line cord, & the handset cord still needs some attention, but it's still the closest thing I have in this color.
Stephen

Jester

Dan, I think you did great.  I just bought the most recent one on ebay-- It wasn't cheap & it wasn't soft plastic, but it was a nos. matching set from 12/59.  You take them as you get them, I suppose.
Stephen

JorgeAmely

Those light gray phones are kind of elusive also. In the last couple of years I think I have seen three on eBay, ranging in prices from $12 to over $100!

Here is a picture of yellow WE500 from 7-56 that acquired couple of years ago. I think it belonged to a lady because there are still some lipstick marks on the handset. I call it Big Bird.

Jorge

Jester

Very nice, Jorge.  that is the oldest yellow 500 I have seen!  BTW, I read that contribution you had on Dennis Markham's website detailing the work you did on a certain Med. blue 500.  The handset cord on the phone I have pictured above has a break in the outer sheath, and I was hoping to get a little more detail from you on affecting a repair.
Stephen

JorgeAmely

finlover:

I posted some pictures of how I fixed that cord in this album:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Amelyenator/WesternElectric1956MediterraneanBlueTelephone#

I used a low power microscope from work, an Exacto knife, Crazy glue, a Craftsman foot long 3/8 extension and some Kapton tape. The strategy to use depends on the break location. Sometimes it can be re-glued back together, sometimes you have to cut the jacket and then rejoin it and glue it again. Small breaks can be glued back in place. If the glue dries and seeps out, you may have to do a second pass with the Exacto knife and cut off the excess hardened glue beads.

If the break is close to the base or the handset, you may just remove the crimp and reposition the crimp thus getting rid of the broken jacket. Near the handset same principle applies: the excess inner conductor can be hidden inside the handset.

Cords usually have around 39 to 42 coils. Getting rid of 2 to 3 coils is not bad.

Please post a picture of the cord. I am interested to see what can be done to fix it.

Jorge

Jorge

Dan/Panther

Jester;
Here's a yellow 500 I picked up about 6 months ago.
It's had some refurb work done, but the base is stamped 7-55, it's about 75% original. The transmitter is original, the line cord, the network, dial, and ringer., are original. The finger wheel, receiver, handset, and caps are newer.
D/P