News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

565HD Multiline Phone-How do I convert to ring

Started by WesternElectricBen, June 06, 2013, 02:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Key2871

ITT sets are similar, yet different from westerns.
Have you looked up the connection sheet for your ITT set? All you really have to do is a Google Search for ITT 564 sets, make sure you find the correct year, and print it.
BTW most ITT set ringers only have BK RD leads, so one goes to either line, use a slate jumper from A or K to the other line, then the other ringer to what ever the slate is not, K or A.
Provide ring voltage and it will ring.
Most ITT sets are not a full 25pair cable, they only have 37 wires. And some colors like what would be LG on western sets, are skipped in ITT because they have a common LG from the first position.
KEN

Weco355aman

Move the leads from From RT RR to w/bl and bl/w the same as you did on the ITT.
Most ITT phones were 2564 and most WE phones are 2565.
They are very close to each other. The 2565 was used with a 4a speaker phone.
The ITT and WE 2564 was non speakerphone Compatible, Also we/itt 2564 had a common ground for all 5 lamps,and the 2565 lamps had there own ground. The common ground was a BAD idea and did not work well on systems that had a lot of phones OR long cable runs. The buzzers work on up to 18v ac. They will place a short on the phone line if connected.
Phil

poplar1

Yes, you can move the Black ringer wire and the slate jumper wire from RT/RR to 1T and 1R if you want a "line ringer" on L1.

The buzzer is designed for 10 Volts AC. If connected to T and R of a line, it will short out the line. It is normally connected to Pair 18 in a WE 6-button set or to Pair 17 in an ITT 6-button set.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

Quote from: Weco355aman on June 03, 2018, 07:57:01 PM
Also we/itt 2564 had a common ground for all 5 lamps,and the 2565 lamps had there own ground. The common ground was a BAD idea and did not work well on systems that had a lot of phones OR long cable runs.

i don't know about the ITT sets. Certainly, there are some sets where the common lamp ground resulted in dim lamps.

However, in the WE 564 and WE 2564, the lamp grounds for each line extend from the KSU all the way through the 25-pair station cables to the amphenol connector. Then, the LGs (lamp grounds) are connected together inside the male plug on the tel set. So, even though the lamp grounds do not extend all the way to the inside if the WE 564 or 2564, you have the full amperage of all 5 lamp ground leads except for the last 5 1/2 feet or so of the mounting cord. The single white-green lead in the mounting cord is indeed a common lamp ground, but if the station is 100 feet from the equipment room, the full current for 5 lamp grounds extends 100' for the 564 vs. 106' for a 565. Then, since the W-GN, R-BL, R-BR, BK-O, and BK-S are bonded together in the plug, the white-green has to bear the full load for only the short length of the mounting cord -- but not all the way from the KSU on a single common lamp ground.

280Parka

Quote from: Weco355aman on June 03, 2018, 07:57:01 PM
Move the leads from From RT RR to w/bl and bl/w the same as you did on the ITT.
Most ITT phones were 2564 and most WE phones are 2565.
They are very close to each other. The 2565 was used with a 4a speaker phone.
The ITT and WE 2564 was non speakerphone Compatible, Also we/itt 2564 had a common ground for all 5 lamps,and the 2565 lamps had there own ground. The common ground was a BAD idea and did not work well on systems that had a lot of phones OR long cable runs. The buzzers work on up to 18v ac. They will place a short on the phone line if connected.

Thanks for the info. I have all of the equipment for the 4A speakerphone for the WE565 and had tested it before making the line 1 ringer switch (it works).  I am going to be installing both phones on the Panasonic PBX in the office which is set up with two incoming CO lines.  Most of the extensions are currently set up with various 500, and 2500 sets.  The "key" 1 on these two phones will be connected to PBX extensions hence the need for the ringers.  Keys 2 and 3 will be connected directly to the two CO lines, not really necessary with the PBX but just for fun (except maybe in a power outage).  Thanks for the lamp info, one of my next projects will be to figure out how to light the lamps so that we will at least be able to know the status of the lines, so that part of the setup will have some practical value. 

Weco355aman

Hi Poplar1
In 2565 the lamp's are NOT bonded together any where,
they are 100% dedicated to the lamp. 564/2564 are connected to a common gnd strip at the lamps at the 636a key strip. This is the same on ITT/ WE.
Phil

Key2871

No, only ITT did the tie strip for light grounds in all their sets. Western never did that.
I like them for my small set up.
But when I punch wires, I just go from the top down. And I can see when it would be an issue with multiple sets and especially long runs.
KEN

Weco355aman

Not true WE did make 2464 and 564 phones. I have some. The bell company in Oregon and Washington used mostly used 565/2565. Look up the BSP series and they are listed. 502-541-406 NOV 1982
I'm not trying to make any argument with anyone. I have installed Over 1000 1a2 phones, also referb 400+. I have over 300 key phones installed on my property
in my Phone display room, aprox 40 throughout my property.
All brands WE ITT S.C. and a few AE.
Quote from: Key2871 on June 04, 2018, 03:58:23 PM
No, only ITT did the tie strip for light grounds in all their sets. Western never did that.
I like them for my small set up.
But when I punch wires, I just go from the top down. And I can see when it would be an issue with multiple sets and especially long runs.
Phil

poplar1

Quote from: Weco355aman on June 04, 2018, 03:29:24 PM
Hi Poplar1
In 2565 the lamp's are NOT bonded together any where,
they are 100% dedicated to the lamp. 564/2564 are connected to a common gnd strip at the lamps at the 636a key strip. This is the same on ITT/ WE.

I was talking about the WE 564s/2564s with D30 or D34 cords.
The lamp grounds inside the set are connected to a single white-green stranded LG lead, but as we agree, the bus or strip connects that LG of the first key to all 5 line/busy lamps.

What I was asking you is whether you agree that the 5 lamp grounds FROM THE KSU -- i.e., in the solid copoer 25-pr. station cable -- are effectively bonded together whenever a 564 or 2564 is plugged in. That is the case because inside the amphenol plug of the mounting cord, the lamp grounds are bonded together, even though they don't appear in the D30/D34 cord. Therefore, the only loss is inthe 5' or so of the stranded mounting cord, but there is no more loss in the 100' + of station cable
for a 564/2564:,than for a 565/2565.

Key2871

Oh! I've never seen them, not even in bsps.
So I'm not surprised, but I have never encountered any.
KEN

Weco355aman

Quote from: poplar1 on June 04, 2018, 05:48:35 PM
I was talking about the WE 564s/2564s with D30 or D34 cords.
The lamp grounds inside the set are connected to a single white-green stranded LG lead, but as we agree, the bus or strip connects that LG of the first key to all 5 line/busy lamps.

What I was asking you is whether you agree that the 5 lamp grounds FROM THE KSU -- i.e., in the solid copoer 25-pr. station cable -- are effectively bonded together whenever a 564 or 2564 is plugged in. That is the case because inside the amphenol plug of the mounting cord, the lamp grounds are bonded together, even though they don't appear in the D30/D34 cord. Therefore, the only loss is inthe 5' or so of the stranded mounting cord, but there is no more loss in the 100' + of station cable
for a 564/2564:,than for a 565/2565.

Yes you are correct about the LG on those set's Those phones were 564hk,564hl, Only have 2 or 3. All of the phone' s E/Q with 636a key's did not have any straps at the Amp plug. I this ITT did strapping in the amp when solder. 
Phil

Babybearjs

Ben! I'm surprised at you. I thought for sure you knew how to hook up a ringer. always remember to look at the BSP's for the phone you're working on..... they seem to be the best way to fix a problem.....
John

AL_as_needed

Just be glad it had the original multi-line line cord, my 565HK came "cordless". But that allowed me to cheat and I just wired it like a standard 500 set and put jumpers in for the key lights  ;D
TWinbrook7