News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Does anyone know when ITT started using modular cords?

Started by foots, July 16, 2009, 04:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foots

I was wondering when this switch was made. It had to have been after 1980 because I have an '80 model that is hardwired.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

JorgeAmely

Probably after 1981. I have one just like yours, in white, stamped 1981.
Jorge

foots

Thank you Jorge.
I noticed something odd, mine has no ringer and the sticker on the bottom says ringer equivalence 0.0 so I'm guessing it never had a ringer?

phoneguy06

Quote from: foots on July 16, 2009, 04:59:56 PM
I was wondering when this switch was made. It had to have been after 1980 because I have an '80 model that is hardwired.

ITT manufactured full, half, and quarter-modular phones (the term for yours, given that the line and handset cords are hardwired to the phone, but the line cord terminates in a modular plug), simultaneously. This can be verified by looking at a copy of the 1978 ITT Telephone guide, on the Kellog page of the Telephone Archive website. I have a hardwired ITT 500 from '89, by which time this configuration was known simply as "non-modular" instead of "quarter modular", the only other option by that time being "full-modular". Hope this explains things!

JorgeAmely

foots:

I am sure phone companies made extension only phones with no ringers so occupants wouldn't be disturbed. I have seen two AE80's with no screw/washer impressions where the ringer attaches to the base.
Jorge

foots

Thanks phoneguy06. I didn't think there would be much info on a later model ITT phone. You sure know your stuff. I'm surprised to hear they still offered hardwired phones in '89.
JorgeAmely, I thank you also for the info. I bought this phone because: 1) Its yellow  2) Its hard wired and doesn't have the thin, flat handset cord  3)It was $4.99. It is also like brand new. I didn't know it didn't have a ringer when I bought it, but I consider that lagniappe as I needed a phone for my bedroom.

phoneguy06

Quote from: foots on July 20, 2009, 04:26:50 AM
Thanks phoneguy06. I didn't think there would be much info on a later model ITT phone. You sure know your stuff. I'm surprised to hear they still offered hardwired phones in '89.
JorgeAmely, I thank you also for the info. I bought this phone because: 1) Its yellow  2) Its hard wired and doesn't have the thin, flat handset cord  3)It was $4.99. It is also like brand new. I didn't know it didn't have a ringer when I bought it, but I consider that lagniappe as I needed a phone for my bedroom.

Hi there foots,

Interesting that you should mention that you bought your particular yellow phone because it does not have a thin, flat handset cord. My '89 has one of the thinnest handset cords I've ever seen. It's also very shiny, as it was NOS in its original box, wrapped in its inner plastic bags, complete with fresh number card, and its wiring schematic folded neatly underneath the phone. I'll send you a PM with pictures if you'd like, given that I've posted photos of it here before, but have no idea in which thread they are.

McHeath

QuoteI didn't think there would be much info on a later model ITT phone. You sure know your stuff. I'm surprised to hear they still offered hardwired phones in '89.

You can still get 2500s with hardwired cords to keep the handsets from walking away. 

http://www.fivestarphones.com/product_info.php?cPath=56_231&products_id=4

It'll cost you an extra 20 bucks, or they will put a metal payphone style cord on it for even more money.

foots

Phoneguy, I'd like to see those pics. I wasn't too fond of ITTs untill I got this one.
McHeath, thanks for the link. I wonder if these phones are of good qualilty. I sure like the options they offer. I may look into getting one of these in the future.

McHeath

I've bought several parts from them for a 2500 I was fixing up, a new shell, touch tone bezel, handset, and modular connectors for line and handset cord.  The parts were good quality, especially the shell, but I couldn't fault any of the rest either.  They are not WE quality, when compared to older stuff I have, but they are certainly a good deal, I think the shell cost me a whopping $3.75, and you can get quite a few colors.