News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bought at local antique mall.

Started by Zombie Dave, March 07, 2018, 09:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zombie Dave

Western Electric 1983 I believe. I'm really excited to enjoy this one.  Landline is getting hooked up Sunday and I'll be on the lookout for more phones.

Pourme

Welcome to the forum, Dave! You may have a condition called "Phineitis". Very common in these parts. We can help you cope with it here.   ;)

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Zombie Dave

;) I believe you are correct in that diagnoses.  I'm currently looking for the cheapest way to add a landline so that I can hear them ring.  Cancelled my appointment for Sunday to explore other options if there are any.

zenithchromacolor

I use a home internet-based phone service from Callcentric that costs only $3.90 a month and offers 120 minutes of outgoing calls and a pay per minute service for incoming calls. I have a Grandstream HT-502 gateway that allows me to make calls with a rotary phone. The downside is that all phones must be connected to the gateway, so it requires some wiring work if you want them spread around the house.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Zombie Dave on March 08, 2018, 10:58:27 AM
;) I believe you are correct in that diagnoses.  I'm currently looking for the cheapest way to add a landline so that I can hear them ring.  Cancelled my appointment for Sunday to explore other options if there are any.
x link is a bluetooth gateway to your smart phone. It supports rotary and will let you make and receive calls on your old phone.
Here is an link from amazon. You can get some better deals on ebay.
https://www.amazon.com/Xtreme-Technologies-BT-Bluetooth-Gateway/dp/B00135XU7Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1520558072

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Zombie Dave

All good information. Thank you for replying. That xlink might be the way I go down the road. Ended up with plugging it in to the back of a modem that I picked up at our cable store (Cox).

I actually was able to hear it ring! Sadly,  I couldn't hear anything.  No dial tone,  voice... etc. Fiddling around with the different jacks  ( I'm not sure what the correct term is. ), found the one where the handset goes into the phone to be the problem. I was able to hear after moving it a little.  It's broken and lose.

I'll be learning how to replace that and where to get replacement parts.

LarryInMichigan

Is the handset connector in the phone broken, or is the little plastic tab broken off of the connector on the end of the handset cord?

Larry

Babybearjs

welcome to the forum.... what part of the country are you in?? with landlines you have basically 2 easy options.... the local phone company, or cable.... cell service too but I don't know much about that...
John

jsowers

An ivory handset cord shouldn't be hard to find at your local Home Depot or mom and pop hardware store. You're lucky it's ivory. The other colors you won't find anywhere but an online retailer or auction site.

If you would rather restore your current handset cord, you may be able to find a crimper that has different inserts and clear modular plugs for handset and line cords. The plugs are different, with the handset cord plugs being smaller. Look for crimpers in those hardware stores or if you have an electronics retailer nearby, that would be a great place to try. Online you may be able to find some pretty good deals. Here is one on eBay that's just $6.49 including the shipping. As long as you're not going to use it a lot, it's fine to get a cheap one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232669959090
Jonathan

Zombie Dave

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on March 09, 2018, 10:04:03 AM
Is the handset connector in the phone broken, or is the little plastic tab broken off of the connector on the end of the handset cord?

Larry

The jacks ( I believe that's what they're called ) 616D and 623D both need replaced as they have tabs broken off and are loose as well as the one in the handset. 
After messing with the phone for a better part of the morning,  I've figured out that by putting a little downward pressure on the clear finger dial, between the number 7 and 8 it'll work! By " work " I mean I can now hear the dial tone.   I'm baffled.  Lol

Zombie Dave

Quote from: jsowers on March 09, 2018, 01:30:50 PM
An ivory handset cord shouldn't be hard to find at your local Home Depot or mom and pop hardware store. You're lucky it's ivory. The other colors you won't find anywhere but an online retailer or auction site.

If you would rather restore your current handset cord, you may be able to find a crimper that has different inserts and clear modular plugs for handset and line cords. The plugs are different, with the handset cord plugs being smaller. Look for crimpers in those hardware stores or if you have an electronics retailer nearby, that would be a great place to try. Online you may be able to find some pretty good deals. Here is one on eBay that's just $6.49 including the shipping. As long as you're not going to use it a lot, it's fine to get a cheap one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232669959090

I'll have to get that just to have. 

HarrySmith

Quote from: Zombie Dave on March 09, 2018, 04:20:06 PM
The jacks ( I believe that's what they're called ) 616D and 623D both need replaced as they have tabs broken off and are loose as well as the one in the handset. 
After messing with the phone for a better part of the morning,  I've figured out that by putting a little downward pressure on the clear finger dial, between the number 7 and 8 it'll work! By " work " I mean I can now hear the dial tone.   I'm baffled.  Lol

There must be something going on with the back of the dial. Have you cleaned and checked the contacts in the switch pileup? A picture of the back of the dial may help identify something amiss.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Zombie Dave

Quote from: HarrySmith on March 15, 2018, 03:03:26 PM
There must be something going on with the back of the dial. Have you cleaned and checked the contacts in the switch pileup? A picture of the back of the dial may help identify something amiss.
I've removed the dial mechanism and pulled off the plastic cover. 
I haven't read up on how to clean the connection points on the switch pileup, if that's what I think you're talking about. 

HarrySmith

Yes, you can clean them by passing a piece of stiff paper between them, like a business card. It looks a little gunked up, may need a good cleaning. There are topics here about cleaning dials. I always send my problem dials to Steve Hilsz. He will clean & calibrate any dial for $6.00. Always does excellent work!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Zombie Dave

Quote from: HarrySmith on March 15, 2018, 03:20:21 PM
Yes, you can clean them by passing a piece of stiff paper between them, like a business card. It looks a little gunked up, may need a good cleaning. There are topics here about cleaning dials. I always send my problem dials to Steve Hilsz. He will clean & calibrate any dial for $6.00. Always does excellent work!
I've been on Facebook far too long. I keep wanting to like posts.  I took a screenshot of his name for future use. :)