News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Thrift store find, my first Canadian phone, eh?

Started by Greg G., November 27, 2017, 12:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Quote from: poplar1 on November 28, 2017, 09:31:54 AM
Could have been used by an independent phone co. in the US. "591" was furnished without ringer, so that any harmonic (frequency) ringer could be added.

Search under Prefix (NXX) "478" and  Use Type "Landline":

https://www.area-codes.com/search.asp

Thanks, the 591 meaning was going to be my next question.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

I had to look back at Greg's first post to remind myself that we are discussing a 1964 500 series Phone, not a B1. There was a portion of Brutish Columbia (Okanogan Telephone) that operated somewhat independently from BC Telephone and they did use mainly NE Telephone sets through the 50's, 60's and 70's when BC Tel took over the remaining portion of the company.

However, Belmont exchange in Victoria was not a part of Okanagan Telephone area so a 500 series would still be unlikely to be installed there unless for some special purpose. What is the purpose of a 591? The number card isn't right for BC Tel in the 60's and Victoria would have had mandatory 7 digit dialling then, no 4 digit dialing as seems to be indicated for emergencies on the number card.

Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba were all provincial government phone systems then and bought phones from Northern or AE then so it could be from any of those provinces and of course could be from the US as well.

Terry