News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Belgian Phone - Polish or Leave?

Started by FABphones, June 24, 2018, 09:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

Inspired by some of your stripped and highly polished phones I fancied having a go myself so bought this Belgian phone 'in need of a good polish'.

Then this weekend, before I could get started on it someone said 'Nice Patina'. Doh! Now I'm in a quandary. Patina should never be removed. Is it patina, or is it filth? (that would make a good quote  :D ).

Now I don't know now whether to leave it as is or get the elbow grease out. Photos attached, first one a bit dark but I have moved the handle up so you can see along the bottom what it might scrub up like (or better).

Waddaya you think?  :-\
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

twocvbloke

Shiny, because shiny things are nice... :)

AL_as_needed

That is a tough choice.... I like the lines and could see it would look very catchy polished, but the current patina has my vote, has a rather rich hue to it.
TWinbrook7

Doug Rose

Copper is meant to be shined! It will look great with a polished Brass finger wheel. JMHO.....Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

Shiny is nice. I like shiny. However, shiny is work and patina isn't. I (myself) would probably leave it patina because it can always be shined and I am lazy.

Value-wise people say patina is "worth" more. It has been my observation that shiny phones sell for more than "patina" phones.

The bottom line is that it is your phone. Do whatever you like that makes you happy.
Those phones are very sharp shined up.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

skyrider

Take your time, think on it for a while. You can always shine it up later but it will take a lifetime to get the patina back. Time will help you decide.

Bill Compton

Key2871

I agree with Bill, take your time and think about what you want it to look like.
Believe it or not, some people actually like the tarnish, patina. It to them adds value. And cleaning it would devalue the piece.
Pay attention to the local brass or copper items around your area and find out if the locals like things polished.
If it were me? I'd leave it alone. Clean dirt off, but I wouldn't polish it.
Nice phone though, enjoy it!
KEN

rdelius

I doubt that the copper finish was an option when in service

Jim Stettler

Quote from: rdelius on June 24, 2018, 04:11:18 PM
I doubt that the copper finish was an option when in service

They offered them in copper. In the mid 90's a local furniture store had over 150 copper telephones. Most were this model. I think they were asking around $150.00 each. I could never get them to cut me a deal on 1.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

FABphones

Thanks all. I've decided to go for a finish that I'll call 'Shiny Patina'. Thanks to Teleplay as it is one of his methods.

So, I'm keeping the patina and giving a shine too. I've made a start tonight and it's ok. Plenty of dirt has lifted away but the depth of aged colour has stayed. It has a smoother feel to it and I'm really pleased with it.

I've just finished cleaning up the handset and it is starting its '3 Day Beauty Oil treatment'. This handset wasn't as nice as others I've had to clean up. It was starting to feel rough and I've seen these with a 'crumbled' effect where the sharper areas have started to break away. I think it will come good though, oiled in the nick of time.

I'll update with pics in a few days time. Can't wait to show you.   :)

AL_as_needed

TWinbrook7

rdelius

i still doubt that the RTT Belgium offered these in copper.and it was done to make them more attractive for retail and collectors.similar  thoughts about the BTM decals om the sides , sometimes on ATEA sets

FABphones

Quote from: rdelius on June 24, 2018, 07:24:57 PM
i still doubt that the RTT Belgium offered these in copper.and it was done to make them more attractive for retail and collectors.similar  thoughts about the BTM decals om the sides , sometimes on ATEA sets

Info here:
http://www.matilo.eu/3-the-phones/1945-1960-late-bakelietperiode/rtt-56a-poste-national/?lang=en

Many were changed after their time with RTT. Colours, decals...  When looking at these initially I read up a bit first, then made sure I chose one with the correct handset. Unfortunately the RTT logo is missing from the front of this one. Wish I could find one now as I didn't think it would bother me but sitting next to my black version it bugs me a bit that it's not there.
8)

Doug Rose

Arwin is a member of the Forum although we do not hear from him much anymore. His knowledge is vast and is an expert on many telephones and companies. Arwin....you are missed....Doug
Kidphone

Daniel B.

This is my copper RTT Belgian phone. I purchased this phone from Doug 3 months ago. The phone was in pretty good shape with some light patina but I'm a shinny stuff lover...So I take the time to do a complete polishing and restoration job... The RTT sign was missing like many phones of those model...It's near impossible to find one alone but a found a nice small pin who fit at the same place... I removed the pin holder at the back and I added some two way tape from 3M to stick the logo at the original place.  Few week after receive my phone, Doug found a rare AE navy handset with copper plate brass band for me. This handset also have a nice extensicord and a brass switch press to silence paint in black....Initially this handset was to put in stock for a future project but when I receive it, I took the decision to install this beauty immediately on my copper phone. A new dial plate and a nice dial card was added to complete this project. Before start any polishing job, I always remove the biggest scratch and a do the surface more smooth with 600 to 2000 water sanding paper. It's the most important part of any polishing project. After, I applied some buffing compound on my buffing wheel and I make a light polishing. I complete the polish process with a cotton towel and some Autosol paste. This phone shell is plated only (not full copper)...The shell is recover with a  small thin cooper coat so you have to be careful if you plan to sand and polish to don't go to deep...In some area my shell don't have enough copper originally to do a perfect polishing job so I can only polish one time. For this reason, to preserve the shiny look, I applied 3 coat of professional clear paint on the shell after the polishing job. You have to wait about 15 minutes between each coat to let the time to dry.  The phone will keep is shiny look forever.  I add some photos of the phone and handset before and after polish...I let you choose witch look you prefer...Good luck with your restoration project if you choose to do it...

Daniel B.