News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

looking for information on modified T-adaptors for Princess with lighted dial

Started by RotoTech99, December 03, 2018, 12:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

Attached to this post are the photos I said I would post regarding the modified T-adaptors I posted on earlier showing what I did before I glued it back together.

Unfortunately,  I still manage to break the prongs that originally held it,  hence my reason for super gluing the halves back.

I tuck the black and yellow leads in where they won't interfere before gluing it. So far I've produced 3; Normally I'm a bit butterfingers,  but the adaptors with patience are turning out good.

I do supply the adaptors with the light transformer and an instruction sheet with my Princess or incandescent dial lit trimline sets,  but ONLY AFTER checking them out with an actual setup to verify it will perform as expected.

As to constructing the special adaptor,  the 4 conductor plug end and 4 lead jack on the other end are the simplest to convert.; Perhaps the trickiest part as I mentioned in my other posts is putting the gold contacts back after taking it out to remove the yellow and black wires; but it involves no cutting and soldering,  which is a plus for me.

I think what "blows their mind" is when I tell them according to Ma Bell,  that a 2012A/C transformer can power up 5 trimline sets + a Princess,  but if you're using more than 1 Princess,  each has to have a separate 2012A/C transformer.

You should see the looks I got after I described how it worked,  then set it up for them,   it was priceless!

They were more amazed that a little 5VDC "cell phone type adaptor" modified to work with the T-adaptor can also power a Princess dial light, but it can only power one Princess' dial light.

(They apparently don't hear much about it around where I'm at in Oklahoma; the "they" are some random customers I've dealt with over the years.)  What I mean is that in the area of Oklahoma I had customers in,  the majority used phones without the dial light feature; they had mainly 500 & 554 rotary sets; they hadn't heard much about lighted dials,  or Princess phones.  Trimline phones were familiar to them,  though because of the dial in the handset feature.

The ones who bought my Princess sets and dial light transformer kits got them for use in their bedrooms,  or in a room where they wanted a phone that wasn't too loud,  but compact enough to fit in on a workable,  or shelf.

Since most of mine were second hand in one way or another,  it wasn't any trouble to fix them or clean them up.  I set up at flea markets and the occasional yard sale,  and that's where I met a lot of my customers at.

Rototech99