News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cracked blue 302

Started by ETS1979, March 06, 2010, 11:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baldopeacock

I've seen all of ETS' phones in person - they are all as nice as the red one.   He is a real craftsman with his phones.   I'm hoping he posts pics of some more.   His green and pink 302s, as acquired, didn't look nearly as good as the "before" pic  of the red one, but they came out equally well.   

Bring 'em on, ET!

rp2813

That red phone is phenomenal.  I agree that it looks like it just came out of the box. 

I am confident that this cracked blue phone will end up looking equally as good.

Welcome to the forum! 
Ralph

ETS1979

I'm still uncertain as to how to proceed with the blue 302 crack repair. (See photos above) Is the "retrobrite" formula safe for use on 302's?  I thought maybe this would be a good way to get the remaining discoloration out of the cracks, and the rest of the phone for that matter.  From reading other postings it seams that sealing the crack from behind, letting it dry, then using an Xcto knife to carefully cut a V groove following the crack then filling with superglue.  Is this a good plan?  Any suggestions apreciated...

ETS1979

Again, thanks for all the positive comments.  To answer the question about the red phone cloth cords...They were replaced with new ones from House of Telephones...Here is a photo of my green 302.  

JorgeAmely

ETS, ETS, ETS, are you sure you are not finlover (or his brother)?  ;D ;D ;D

Hats off to you sir. :o :o :o

My retinas haven't recovered from the red 302 and now you throw this color at us?
Jorge

Phonesrfun

ETS:

I would not use the retr0brite on a dark colored phone.  I would stick to white, ivory, and light beige hard plastics only.

Retr0brite is a bleaching process and dark colors come out noticeably lighter, and I have had a bad experience with blotching on a dark moss green.  I am sure I can polish that blotching out, but it is always safer to start on a junker phone body to get used to it.

My two cents,

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G

Craig T

:o   8) Good thing I had these with me.  Another beauty, I love the cords too. Good thing you did not show them all at once, it would be to much to withstand  :)

jeremylivin

Wow, I just had a phone-gasm!

Awesome phones!
Jeremy Livingston

McHeath

Geepers, that's a purty green 302!  That's probably my favorite WE color, and your 302 looks new and shows off the color to it's best advantage.  Nice work.

ETS1979

For anyone interested, I have started a new topic called "MY teelephone Collection" to post new photos.  I did not notice the misspelling until after it was posted.

ETS1979, I took the liberty of correcting that.  Anyone can modify their own topics, FYI.  Also, here is the link to your new post.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2327.msg30948#msg30948

~Dennis

Dan/Panther

Quote from: ETS1979 on March 08, 2010, 10:03:09 PM
I'm still uncertain as to how to proceed with the blue 302 crack repair. (See photos above) Is the "retrobrite" formula safe for use on 302's?  I thought maybe this would be a good way to get the remaining discoloration out of the cracks, and the rest of the phone for that matter.  From reading other postings it seams that sealing the crack from behind, letting it dry, then using an Xcto knife to carefully cut a V groove following the crack then filling with superglue.  Is this a good plan?  Any suggestions appreciated...
Your idea on the crack as far as I'm concerned should work great.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

ETS1979

Here is a photo after gluing the crack.   It looks like I did not get as much of the discoloration out of the crack as I thought.  I will try to get more of it out before I do the one on the front.

rp2813

That is still a huge improvement over the gaping crack that existed before.  I look forward to seeing more pix of your progress with this one.
Ralph

ETS1979

Here is a photo of the repaired front crack. Note the white spot at the top of the crack.  Does anyone have suggestions for making it look better, or should I quit while I'm ahead?

JorgeAmely

From here that looks like a water spot. Although I have seen embedded imperfections in plastic injected parts before. If you touch it up lightly with 1000 grit, does it go away? Can you feel it if you touch it with your finger nail or finger tip?
Jorge