News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial Card printing

Started by jem872, April 07, 2012, 07:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jem872

What are some of the ways to print phone numbers on a dial card. How was this done originally? I have an AE blank card I want to put our phone number on, but not sure how to do this and have it look right. Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks Jerry   

jsowers

Originally they were stamped on either by the installer or by someone at the central office. It depended on the telco what the method was, and originally the cards contained the exchange name, like PLaza, or PLaza 5, and then four numbers stamped on. Later when exchanges went to all numbers and no letters, stampers like the one below were used to stamp the 7-digit phone number.

I have a stamper like the one below and would be glad to stamp your number on it for you. Send me a PM (personal message) and I'll give you my mailing address.

Alternately you can scan the card with a computer and scanner and use a program like Photoshop to add the numbers to the card and print it out.

Look at this site to see what they're supposed to look like...

http://www.telephonearchive.com/numbercards/index.html

Also, please post a picture of your phone so we can see what kind of AE card is supposed to be on it. They used many different kinds.
Jonathan

gpo706

Similar dial stampers were used by the GPO, though not as refined, no adjust knobs on them you have to move digits with a pick, latterly standards dropped and anything from typewritten and hand written lables were common.

I'd recommend the Photoshop route if you have the programme, you can even re-create obscure lables from pictures and scans if you have the time and patience.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

twocvbloke

I use Macromedia Flash to make my dial labels, probably an easier way to do it, but, it works great, and I can print them straight out from the program for the best quality prints... :)

If only I had some proper card to print them out on... :D

(and the KL5-3226 number is Homer Simpson's "Mr.Plow" business number!!)

ka1axy

This one is from my old house in Natick, MA. Vintage 1965.
Apparently printed on some kind of computer output device (it's not typed).