"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 3/60 500 P/U Mushroom in Rose Pink

Started by WesternElectricBen, April 05, 2014, 01:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Hi there,

I just saw this 1960 P/U mushroom phone on eBaY, and I thought if it wasn't too much of a bother, could somebody make this into an auction contest? I think it would be pretty interesting because it is pink, and there is that guy trying to sell one alike this for nearly 10 times more.

Link: Vintage-Rotary-Telephone-Bell-Western-Electric-Mushroom-Phone-Rose-Pink

My vote would be going for 525.00

Ben

TelePlay

Well, Ben, I was setting up the auction contest and when I got to the daily update section, discovered that this is only a 2 Day Auction and since bids are not allowed less than 24 hours before the auction ends, that would make it a one day contest. That is just too short to give all who play a fair chance to get in a guess. I think anything less than 5 days is not a good candidate for a contest. While this would have made a very good contest listing, it just won't work for us and I think the seller is short changing himself, pun intended, by going with such a short auction on this phone.

For reference, the phone was listed with a $50 minimum bid with no reserve.

So, it was a go until it became a no go and I will be moving this topic to the Auction Talk general board after posting this comment.

WesternElectricBen

Oh, silly me, I didn't notice that.

Thanks anyway,

Ben

baldopeacock

Where could a person find a reproduction mushroom for this phone?   Does Ray Kotke make them?

TelePlay

TelePlay

Sold for $205.49 with 6 bidders offering 10 bids.

Interesting in that the winner placed a "big" bid at 4:43 AM when it was sitting at $66.00. Three snipes were entered within 6 seconds of the auction ending at 11:38 AM. Those snipes were $138, $162 and $202 but none exceeded the 4:43 AM max bid. Those three bidders posted what they thought it was worth to them. Worth more to the winner. Wonder what it would have sold for if it had the hood?