News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg Carlson (S-C 500D) not ringing.

Started by bhilliker, September 04, 2015, 07:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhilliker

Hi, I am new to the forum.  My daughter (12 Years Old) received a Stromberg Carlson (S-C 500D) phone for her birthday.  We were able to get the phone to dial and receive a calls, but we can't get it to ring.  I have attached some photos of the inside.  The ringer has 11-78 stamped on it.   I have read through many of the posts on the forum but have not been able to find a solution to the problem with her phone.  Looking for help in solving ringer issue.  Thanks

TelePlay

Moderator Edit:  These seem to be two identical posts. They were put up in two separate topics. I could not see a difference in them but rather than delete one, I merged both of them to here. The second post, the duplicate, can be deleted in a few days, after it is decided it is an exact duplicate.

By merging them into one topic, any and all discussion and help for this phone will be in one place.

BTW, welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will get the help you need from forum members familiar with this phone

G-Man

Quote from: bhilliker on September 04, 2015, 07:36:59 PM
Hi, I am new to the forum.  My daughter (12 Years Old) received a Stromberg Carlson (S-C 500D) phone for her birthday.  We were able to get the phone to dial and receive a call, but we can't get it to ring.  I have attached some photos of the inside.  The ringer has 11-78 stamped on it.   I have read through many of the posts on the forum but have not been able to find a solution to the problem with her phone.  Looking for help in solving ringer issue.  Thanks

I see a couple of un-terminated wires but the photos don't provide enough detail to see what they are connected to at their other end.

The ringer wires should be connected as follows:

Terminal                        Ringer Wire
     "A"                               SLATE/RED
     "K"                               SLATE
     "L1"                              BLACK
     "L2"                              RED

If the SLATE and SLATE/RED wires are transposed on the "A" and "K" terminals, that's fine.
Ditto for the RED and BLACK wires on "L1" and "L2" terminals.

G-Man

Hmm...

just noticed another clue- the RED ringer wire is disconnected from "L2" and is wrapped around the bell's clapper rod. Still wondering about the other disconnected wires, but go ahead and connect the ringer wires as per earlier instructions, and you should be good.

bhilliker

I have now connected the wires from the ringer as described.  Still no ring.

Red -> L2
Black -> L1
Slate/Red -> A
Slate -> K

You also see a Blue & White wire that are disconnected.  They are coming out of the wire that goes to the wall jack. 

I am using the Red & Green wires to connect to the wall jack.  Inside the phone those are connected as follows:

Red -> L2
Green -> F

bhilliker

Somewhere I read to connect the Yellow & Green phone wires to the Green house wire.  I did that and the phone is now ringing!!  My daughter is so excited.  Thanks for your help in getting it working.

NorthernElectric

Quote from: bhilliker on September 05, 2015, 06:15:35 PM
Somewhere I read to connect the Yellow & Green phone wires to the Green house wire.  I did that and the phone is now ringing!!  My daughter is so excited.  Thanks for your help in getting it working.

That would usually indicate that the black ringer wire is on G (ground) instead of L1.  Grounded ringers used to be common but no longer.  The trick with connecting the yellow to green at the wall is a way to solve this without getting inside the phone.  (see 2 on attached wiring diagram).

Quote from: bhilliker on September 05, 2015, 06:07:56 PMI am using the Red & Green wires to connect to the wall jack.  Inside the phone those are connected as follows:

Red -> L2
Green -> F

Something that seems odd to me is that you have your green line wire connected to F.  It would normally be on L1 also.  According to the wiring diagram, it looks like connecting it to F bypasses a set of hookswitch contacts.  I'm not sure what types of problems that could cause.  Apart from ringing, is the phone working correctly?  Can you dial out?  Are there any loud pops when you dial or go on or off hook?  (see 1 on attached wiring diagram)
Cliff

G-Man

NorthernElectric-

Note that there are also un-terminated wires and that the green line wire is connected to "F" which indicates his set is mis-wired.

I did not respond further because he told us it is now working ok and I assume that is all he is concerned with.

LarryInMichigan

Welcome to the forum.  It may be worth noting that, although phones of that vintage are generally not worth much, that bright 1970s orange color is considered collectible, so it has some value.  The lime green ones are in even more demand.

Larry