News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

KTAS D-30 phone jack wiring question

Started by mn15002009, September 11, 2015, 02:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

Since this dial just look pretty equal to the Antwerp dials I have, but not exactly, I just speak generally. WD40 is not a good one, but far from the worst. Silicone are often causing problems after some time, and cleaning could be done in many ways.  I have pretty good experience of a rinse (shaking in a container, or ultrasonic in a solution of alcohol, water and soap.  The fluid used for car windshields is a nice example on this.  The soap and alcohol cleans, and the alcohol makes it dry before it starts to rusty.

The red wire on yours are just connected to the counter, and could be isolated, the spring may be adjusted,....  Clock oil is perfect, but most other thin oils will do. Synthetic oils does not clog and one drop of oil is enough for the entire dial mechanism. Bike/sewing-machine/weapon lubricants will still do the job for about 10 years or more.  (WD40 in a egg glass stored over the night will change to better oil (some of what we dont like evaporate), and may be applied by help of a match) Not the best but not that bad ... 8)   

Be careful when you open to inspect the spring. it is an extremely bad feeling when the spring just are out of control.

To guide further we need detailed photos from each step in the job. E.G. I would like a close picture of the rear components of the dial, because I can not zoom enough on your photo.

dsk

rdelius

The spring is inside a cup and can be removed as a unit for inspection without it coming out of the cup if you are carefull

mn15002009

Hard for me to take a clear in focus close up picture of the back, but I have attached a better picture for your use. How do I remove the front of the dial with the paper numbers and the KTAS? I have removed the round retaining clip located around the paper KTAS but dont know what comes off next. If I could removed the front of the dial can I put the balance of the dial in the ultrasonic?

rdelius

Use a thin small bladed screwdriver or knife to carefully remove the thin ring (sometimes missing)and lift out the window and ktas paper insert. Remove the screw in the center of the fingerwheel to remove it .The fingerwheel and the letter plate will lift out as one assy.If you ulrasonically clean dials with out removing the main shaft,it would be harder to get proper lubracation where it is needed.I think your mainspring is broken and an expert should work on it .These sllipping cam dials are harder to work on if you have not worked on them  before

Jack Ryan

Quote from: dsk on September 13, 2015, 03:33:13 PM
WD40 is not a good one, but far from the worst.

Dsk, unlike the WE 7000 series dials and most other dials, these dials use a slipping clutch. WD40 and slipping clutches do not mix.

Jack

dsk

Quote from: Jack Ryan on September 13, 2015, 10:48:55 PM
Quote from: dsk on September 13, 2015, 03:33:13 PM
WD40 is not a good one, but far from the worst.

Dsk, unlike the WE 7000 series dials and most other dials, these dials use a slipping clutch. WD40 and slipping clutches do not mix.

Jack

Never adjusted those, barely seen one.   Found this documentation: http://www.britishtelephones.com/tel%20auto%20b5126.htm
Pretty complex text.

dsk

Mr. Bones

This is my opinion, only, and should be considered as such: if you are new to working on telephones, I would either:

A> Send it to Steve Hilz, and let him work his magic...

OR

B> Buy an affordable ultrasonic cleaner to use for such things.

Try not to get too frustrated, it never helps when working on things.

It is entirely conceivable that you, or myself could (eventually), successfully disassemble, clean, time, and lubricate a telephone dial.

I simply find it easier, quicker, and less frustrating to leave it to the pro...

Good luck, whatever you choose to do, and

Best regards!

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

mn15002009

Thanks everyone, I think I need an ultrasonic cleaner to try to clean the dial and I will go from there. I would like to keep this post open and come back at a later date to let everyone know my progress or if I fixed the dial. I may even have more questions at that time.

Thanks again,
Mike