News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

634A Ringer Spring

Started by tekuhn, November 06, 2016, 10:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tekuhn

Does anyone sell replacement springs for the 634A ringer assembly or have the specifications so a replacement could be located? I bought a 634A on eBay recently and realized after I received it that the spring was missing. Thanks for your help!

poplar1

Ralph Meyer (who wrote the book Old-Time Telephones) had some made a while back. I believe Mark Treutelaar bought a large quantity from Ralph and is reselling them. Here is the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Electric-telephone-ringer-box-subset-Bias-spring-634-534-653-Orginal-/201213283375
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

tekuhn

TelePlay

That looks just like the spring I just bought at my local Ace Hardware store. Went through every one of their bins to find one the same diameter and have weak or soft springiness.

My Ashtray ringer had just a 1/4" long piece still on the lower ringer attachment (the rest was rusted away so I had the diameter but had no idea what the length should be. Just knew it had to be shorter than 2". I bought a longer one but they had the same spring in a shorter length. This one is too long, can be cut, but springiness is unknown compared to an original.

Didn't know repro's existed or I would have ordered one of them instead. That would take care of the question of correct tension, and length.