News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help with questions about TP-6-A

Started by cloyd, November 11, 2016, 12:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cloyd

I finally found a nice example of a "Toaster Phone."  All of the parts seem to be appropriate if not all original.  The parts are dated in the 50's.  As far as I can tell, it dials out and receives calls fine.  Unfortunately, my phone doesn't ring even though it looks to be correctly wired.  I could use some help with that.

The receiver caps won't budge.  I haven't put much force behind it.  You can see that the receiver cap is cracked.

The cool heavy-weight coiled cord needs some vigorous hygiene.  What color was the coiled cord originally...beige? gray? white?  The coiled cord restraints are marked H4BR_III_57 and the line cord looks original: D3BB_I_55.  It looks to have been repaired at some point. The dial (TA-45C/GT) is 8/54.

I was also wondering about the wiring diagram that is usually seen on the base of these phones.  Why wouldn't mine have one?  Should it?  If so, are they available?

Thank you,
Tina Loyd
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

cloyd

More pictures.
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

cloyd

Doug Rose

How is the line cord terminated? Yellow from the line cord is to the black of the ringer. In the termination of the line cord bring red and yellow together.  Move Bias spring lever on ringer or try a We ringer in its place.....Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

TP-6-A diagram from TM11-468, Department of the Army.

The original HS cord on this set was a straight black cord.

cloyd

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 11, 2016, 01:28:51 PM
How is the line cord terminated? Yellow from the line cord is to the black of the ringer. In the termination of the line cord bring red and yellow together.  Move Bias spring lever on ringer or try a We ringer in its place.....Doug

Is your recommendation a change from the original wiring diagram?  (I found the attached diagram on CRPF but I can't remember where I found it.  Sorry.)  The diagram shows how my phone is currently wired.  I know I have had to change the ringer wiring in my WE302's so I will give it a try.

I am wondering if the chunky coiled HS cord was made during a certain period of time.

Thank you,

Tina Loyd

cloyd

The red from my line cord goes to L2, the yellow goes to GND then another yellow goes to the condenser.  From the condenser, a slate wire connects to K with black that goes to the ringer.  Am I supposed to drop two condenser wires?
Still confused.
Tina

unbeldi

This phone originally came with a two-conductor cord only, I believe, so I would wire the cord exactly as shown in the diagram, without using the ground conductor (yellow) in your cord. Simply ignore the third wire.
I think all Signal Corp sets were connected with metallic ringing in two-wire lines without ground connection.

Some of the other Army phones (TP-6, etc.) had a three conductor cord, but the Army connected the yellow wire to the green wire at the junction box.

poplar1

Red ringer to L1
Black ringer to K
Slate capacitor to K
Yellow capacitor to L2

L1<----------RINGER----------->K<-------------CAPACITOR------------------>L2

LINE CORD:
RED TO L1, GREEN TO L2 (WILL ALSO WORK AS SHOWN IN YOUR PHOTO WITH GREEN TO L1 AND RED TO L2)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

cloyd

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 11, 2016, 01:28:51 PM
Move Bias spring lever on ringer or try a We ringer in its place.....Doug

Doug,
I also meant to ask about what you meant by "move the bias spring lever."  I know what it is but how should I move it?
Thank you,
Tina

poplar1

Quote from: cloyd on November 11, 2016, 12:53:51 PM

The cool heavy-weight coiled cord needs some vigorous hygiene.  What color was the coiled cord originally...beige? gray? white?  The coiled cord restraints are marked H4BR_III_57 and the line cord looks original: D3BB_I_55.  It looks to have been repaired at some point.

H4BR is the second generation Western Electric  coiled cord for color 500s. You don't need 4 conductors for the handset on a TP-6-A. Perhaps you or someone can use this cord to restore a 1957 500.

poplar1

D3BB is the correct mounting cord (line cord) for a black 500 (1950-1957). The cord end with wing restraint (shown in your photo) is the end that attaches to a 42A connecting block on the wall, or to a 283B plug. That's why the leads barely reach the terminals inside your phone.

Doug Rose

Tina...end of the line cord to the wall or jack, terminate the red and the yellow together. It should ring. If not on the ringer move the bias to the right or left, just pick up the metal lever and move up and over. If that does not work, replace the CT ringer with a WE, they look the same...Doug
Kidphone

cloyd

Thank you for your replies,

I tried everything mentioned, including trying a known working WE B1A ringer from one of my 302's but the B1A doesn't ring in the Toaster, even if I move the bias spring lever.  The I-1 ringer that I took out of the Toaster was tested in a 302 but it didn't ring there either.  So the I-1 ringer from the Toaster is dead but there is something else going on.  Any other ideas?

Also, I have a 1957 black WE 500 for the coiled cord.  I wish the cord was black though, anyone want to trade?  I am still unsure of the original color.

What would a TP-6-A have for cords?  I understand that they used a two conductor line cord but, more specifically, did Connecticut make their own HS and line cords or use another company's cords?

Thank you!

unbeldi

Quote from: cloyd on November 13, 2016, 06:30:21 PM
Thank you for your replies,

I tried everything mentioned, including trying a known working WE B1A ringer from one of my 302's but the B1A doesn't ring in the Toaster, even if I move the bias spring lever.  The I-1 ringer that I took out of the Toaster was tested in a 302 but it didn't ring there either.  So the I-1 ringer from the Toaster is dead but there is something else going on.  Any other ideas?

Also, I have a 1957 black WE 500 for the coiled cord.  I wish the cord was black though, anyone want to trade?  I am still unsure of the original color.

What would a TP-6-A have for cords?  I understand that they used a two conductor line cord but, more specifically, did Connecticut make their own HS and line cords or use another company's cords?

Thank you!

I am pretty sure, that the Army had specific requirements for cords, and most definitely they would be black, and likely had to be synthetic rubber, isoprene, neoprene, etc. I don't know what Con.Tel. used in terms of materials exactly.  They may have bought them from suppliers. They also may have had to have rubber grommets in the cord exits.