News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Little Green Lantern

Started by Pourme, February 09, 2018, 04:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

Quote from: TelePlay on February 10, 2018, 10:17:31 AMwhich I find interesting in that there is a place in the UK that still stamps these out of steel and paints them? But, he doesn't know who. Strange, if you know where they were made, you would know the company, right?

Given the "quality" of my 4, I'd say they're made in China, given a couple of them I had to re-shape, bend, twist and fettle to get the thing to sit properly on the burner and have the globe sit in it's holder properly, it's very thin metal too, so easy to bend out of shape of dropped or mis-handled...

The seller probably doesn't have access to the information of where they come from, after all, they're a national company rather than a small-time seller, and the nationals never know what they're doing in other parts of the business...

AL_as_needed

Either way, I think there will forever be a demand of these little guys. No matter what corner of the world people are in, things happen where you'll need a back-up. If it works, it works  :D

It is likely made in China and brought in by a whole-sale house and redistributed to chain stores etc.
TWinbrook7

twocvbloke

There'll always be demand for lanterns, the only issue is keeping them fuelled given the amount of hate for fossil fuels these days, but I'm sure there'll always be alternatives to keep them lit... :)

AL_as_needed

On the note of fueling: I have tried a few different containers and means of filling and finally stumbled on something that works rather well.....open to interpretation of course.

First I used a long thin plastic funnel and poured right from the gallon jug of fuel. This worked "ok", but it was hard to see the fuel level while pouring and many a spill from over-filling was the result.

Next I tried a metal oil measuring cup with a spout..... same issues as with the funnel....

Then a pump oil can. This worked well,  but it took a year and a day to fill a lantern up. On the plus side, my thumbs got a work-out.

Currently I have been using an old brown cider bottle with a liquor pour spout. So far a great balance of speed and control  ;D
TWinbrook7

twocvbloke

Quote from: AL_as_needed on February 23, 2018, 09:32:14 PMCurrently I have been using an old brown cider bottle with a liquor pour spout. So far a great balance of speed and control  ;D

Just so long as you don't mix up the bottles and pour a shot of the good stuff only to find it's fuel you're drinking...  ;D

I just decant my paraffin into a 500ml Pepsi bottle for filling my lanterns, the 4L jugs are okay for filling the Aladdins with (going in through the font hole rather than filler), but for little lanterns, I spilled more than I got in the tanks, the smaller neck of the Pepsi bottle makes it easier for me to control the flow... :)