News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Rod Lanthier's coin control module

Started by Kpkube, October 14, 2016, 12:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kpkube

Don't know the model, no plate on top.  Here are some pictures if that helps.  No diagrams
On the coin mech the coil and the microswitch need to have wires reattached to them.
The coin chute relay needs to have the wires reattached as well.  I found a white wire that is connected to the d-connector need to know where that goes,

dsk

The text on the instruction card indicates a semi-postpay, if that is right, the controller described will not be the right.
I should wish I could see a little bit more to the right from the last picture.

dsk

Kpkube

Here is a picture when I got the phone(ebay purchase from celnout)

Kpkube

found this from an ebay auction. Looks to be the same phone.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Automatic-Electric-3-Slot-Coin-Payphone-Model-LPC-82-55-/300857890487

?nma=true&si=kE4ig4%252FjaKxK%252BNhi79voxN%252Ff0yk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

dsk

The coin control mechanism is different, yours are a semi-postpay, the other one is a prepay.
Yours will only return coins not accepted by the coin acceptor.  I have a similar one.  Yours are missing the coin relay, but has a ringer there.  You may change the mechanim to pretpay, you may put in the original, or you may put in a micro-switch, and a few other small components and make it work as semi-postpay, and still have the ringer. 

dsk

dsk

What kind of line do you want to use the phone at? POTS? PBX? Selfowned and unloced ATA, or locked ATA?

dsk

Kpkube

Quote from: dsk on October 16, 2016, 03:10:24 AM
What kind of line do you want to use the phone at? POTS? PBX? Selfowned and unloced ATA, or locked ATA?

dsk

POTS.

Before
[i mg]h ttp://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=16931.0;attach=148776[/i mg]

Kpkube

After

dsk

Yes! That make sense, now you may wire it up for a controller.  Do you know the voltage the coil is made for?
Mine is working well at approx 100V dc.

dsk

Kpkube

Quote from: dsk on October 16, 2016, 12:39:12 PM
Yes! That make sense, now you may wire it up for a controller.  Do you know the voltage the coil is made for?
Mine is working well at approx 100V dc.

dsk

I believe it is a 48v

Stan S

OH BOY!

Well, I suppose everyone is sufficiently confused. I know I am.
Kpkube, let me TRY and explain what you have.

Your payphone is an Automatic Electric LPC 86-55. It's was a cent POSTPAY phone.

You posted 2 pictures. One has a PREPAY hopper and single coil coin relay.
The second has a straight chute. The straight chute WOULD have been used originally in your payphone when it was in service.
Apparently you never got a matching POSTPAY coin relay for the chute.
The way the phone is set up now the chute is only used to direct the coins into the cash box.

Now, getting back to the PREPAY hopper and single coil coin relay.
The hopper is correct for an AE PREPAY 3-slot. The coin relay isn't.

That coin relay is from a single slot payphone. You can tell by the 'T' shaped coin trigger.
The relay only has 2 terminals. All AEs, PREPAY or POSTPAY need a set of switching contacts that will prevent the called party from hearing the calling party.
So, the relay would need a minimum of 4 terminals. Two for the coil of the relay and two to prevent transmission.
Another problem with those relays is the 'T' shaped coin trigger. It isn't long enough to prevent a dime from 'squeaking' by and not hitting the trigger. They were designed for single slot hoppers not 3 slots. 3-slot hoppers are wider.

It's not a big deal changing the coin relay. The wiring to the proper relay is easy. You can leave the rest of the POSTPAY wiring the way it is assuming the payphone works as a standard extension phone.

The major amount of work will be in the top of the phone. All the wiring that made it any type of payphone has been removed.
That includes the coin microphones and the 'nickel counting assembly'.
Since the 'nickel counting assembly' was for a a POSTPAY phone it's different than one that would be used in a PREPAY.
Probably can be made to work as a ten cent phone with a little bit of redesign.

If you don't want to hear the coins hitting the bell and gong in the handset, and you're happy with it being a nickel initial deposit, you can leave it the way it is. It will work fine with the controller I build after you change the coin relay.
To make it 100% correct would requires a lot of work.

Stan S.

Stan S

Correction
It's was a cent POSTPAY phone.

Should be:
IT WAS A 10 CENT POSTPAY PHONE.

Sorry about that!
Old eyes.
Stan S.

Kpkube

Quote from: Stan S on October 16, 2016, 01:12:38 PM
OH BOY!

Well, I suppose everyone is sufficiently confused. I know I am.
Kpkube, let me TRY and explain what you have.

Your payphone is an Automatic Electric LPC 86-55. It's was a cent POSTPAY phone.

You posted 2 pictures. One has a PREPAY hopper and single coil coin relay.
The second has a straight chute. The straight chute WOULD have been used originally in your payphone when it was in service.
Apparently you never got a matching POSTPAY coin relay for the chute.
The way the phone is set up now the chute is only used to direct the coins into the cash box.

Now, getting back to the PREPAY hopper and single coil coin relay.
The hopper is correct for an AE PREPAY 3-slot. The coin relay isn't.

That coin relay is from a single slot payphone. You can tell by the 'T' shaped coin trigger.
The relay only has 2 terminals. All AEs, PREPAY or POSTPAY need a set of switching contacts that will prevent the called party from hearing the calling party.
So, the relay would need a minimum of 4 terminals. Two for the coil of the relay and two to prevent transmission.
Another problem with those relays is the 'T' shaped coin trigger. It isn't long enough to prevent a dime from 'squeaking' by and not hitting the trigger. They were designed for single slot hoppers not 3 slots. 3-slot hoppers are wider.

It's not a big deal changing the coin relay. The wiring to the proper relay is easy. You can leave the rest of the POSTPAY wiring the way it is assuming the payphone works as a standard extension phone.

The major amount of work will be in the top of the phone. All the wiring that made it any type of payphone has been removed.
That includes the coin microphones and the 'nickel counting assembly'.
Since the 'nickel counting assembly' was for a a POSTPAY phone it's different than one that would be used in a PREPAY.
Probably can be made to work as a ten cent phone with a little bit of redesign.

If you don't want to hear the coins hitting the bell and gong in the handset, and you're happy with it being a nickel initial deposit, you can leave it the way it is. It will work fine with the controller I build after you change the coin relay.
To make it 100% correct would requires a lot of work.

Stan S.

Thanks Stan
  Where can I find the correct relay for this? 

Other than replacing the wires that were clipped from the chute micro switch,  coin signal transmitter and the restoring relay.  I could reconnect those.  I now have the schematic for the LPC82-55, I can go over this to see what might have been changed.

Kpkube

I think I got the right relay. I also think I have everything connected according to the schematic. Will include some shots of how it is now. I get dial-tone and can dial out, I can transmit & receive, all without putting in any coins in.  Shouldn't something be disabled?  Newb at this so be bare with me.
Are there any points to check for the correct voltages?  Any help would be great.
Would like to end up with this phone being able to use stans controller.
Thanks for your help.

Stan S

Keith
From what I see from your pictures everything looks fine.

With the wire spring of the nickel counter in the NOTCH of the arm the dial should be disabled. If you deposit ONE nickel and the wire spring jumps out of the notch and flips up, you should be able to dial. Assuming the coin relay you found is working properly, all this will be done automatically by the operation of the controller.

Stan S.