News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Northern Electric NU Handset

Started by Doug Rose, February 13, 2010, 12:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Collectors....this is a Northern Electric NU handset. Really a very sharp looking handset that only came on the NE #1 UNI phone or known as the Fat 302 and its wall mount brother. These were only made for a short time and then the F1 took its place on them. Pictures don't really tell the story, you have to feel it, heavier than an F1 with very interesting lines. The transmitter and receiver bend in a little more. Receiver cap looks like an E1 cap and the transmitter cap is bigger. Really a great handset....Doug
Kidphone

McHeath

Never seen one before, I really like the lines. 

Doug Rose

Until I had one in my hands, I never thought it was a big deal to get one. You are right about the lines, where an F1 is rounded, this is more squared. Really different.....Doug
Kidphone

Jester

Doug,
I agree that the angular lines of this handset make it unique compared to the F1 .  It also better complements the strong, linear looks of the Uniphone in my opinion.  I thought you would enjoy some detail shots of the NF handset on a burled walnut No. 2 I found last year.  My understanding is these were made before the NU, and are a little harder to find.  Paul Fassbender has a good description & comparison of all three handsets on his site, but I prefer when forum members share what they have & have learned, as you have.
Stephen

Jester

Here's a few more.
Stephen

bingster

It's very interesting that the receiver cap and transmitter screen appear to be standard E handset parts (other than the coloring).
= DARRIN =

Doug Rose

Jester....Outstanding!! The two piece transmitter cover is amazing. I have never seen one in a non spit cup handset. I have a brown E1 and the cover (screen) is black as well. I was told by some former club members that they did not make the covers in Brown. Simply stunning! If you get a chance, please post a some pictures of the phone and the handset. I have never seen one in person, only in pictures.....GREAT PHONE...you should be very proud, its a tough find....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Jester....if this went for $177 eBay 380205859972. Imagine what yours is worth with your NF handset....Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

Doug ;
Notice how some of the above photos have that Mottled brown look.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bingster

Northern called it "grained walnut."
= DARRIN =

Jester

Quote from: Kidphone on February 18, 2010, 08:02:04 PM
Jester....if this went for $177 eBay 380205859972. Imagine what yours is worth with your NF handset....Doug

Doug,
I think I paid $179 & some change for my #2--plus shipping from Canada, which is usually $5.00 more than I pay from any US location.  Total would be around $200.00.  I think it could bring more if I sold it to the right person, but I have no thoughts of that at the moment--I'm probably the only one in this part of Texas that has one, and I like the way that feels.
I bought a brown #1 just like the set pictured above last March.  With shipping, it was $134.00 from Prince Edward Island to here.
Stephen

DavePEI

Quote from: Jester on February 19, 2010, 12:50:31 PM
I bought a brown #1 just like the set pictured above last March.  With shipping, it was $134.00 from Prince Edward Island to here.

I am curious as to who on PEI sold you that one.....

I have a number of number 1 and 2s with NU handsets including one #1 and #2 in burled walnut, but until this week didn't have a single example of the NF handset. As discussed in another thread:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=7671.new#new

I picked up a beautiful burled walnut with NF handset. I love it. And the price was right, free!

I love uniphones, even the black ones.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Jester

Dave,

I didn't keep track of the seller's name or address.  I do remember she had two brown No. 1's and mine was listed first.  Both had the F1 handset and mine was shipped in a marked NE carton meant to carry a black 500.  The would have been March, 2009.
Stephen

DavePEI

Quote from: Jester on September 27, 2012, 12:37:05 PM
I didn't keep track of the seller's name or address.  I do remember she had two brown No. 1's and mine was listed first.  Both had the F1 handset and mine was shipped in a marked NE carton meant to carry a black 500.  The would have been March, 2009.
No problem... I was just curious. You don't find to many burled walnut Uniphones here, but you do find some. My first was bought in a basement sale, and I saw it in the poor lighting inside, I almost decided not to buy it because it was black. Then I did decide to get it figuring I could pass it along to someone else  who needed a black one since it was only $5.

It wasn't until I got it in the outside light that I could see it was really burled walnut. Since then, I have never passed up picking up any Uniphone I see.

Sure wasn't going to pass up that burled walnut #1 with the NF handset for $0! Once again, when I first saw it, it looked black and I didn't notice the handset. When he gave them to me and I had a look at it when I got home, I nearly dropped it!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001