2 (11.1%)
All gold
0 (0%)
some combination of above
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: April 11, 2015, 03:15:51 PM

HarrySmith

I have started on the restoration of this Find Of The Month so as promised I will keep you updated. I have disassembled it and have most of it soaking. I did find a broken piece on the inside of the case. One of the case screw bosses snapped off. I have epoxied it with Gorilla Glue and it is clamped right now. The other boss is cracked but I think it is fine. Some pictures below and I am setting up an album, will add link later.

Link to Picassa album: https://plus.google.com/photos/103483280648956762530/albums/6128781509568554689
If you can't see it let me know, I can send a direct invite to your email.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HarrySmith

OK, first step almost complete. Most of the paint removed. Used Citri-Strip, let it sit overnight and rubbed it off with steel wool. Just a little left in the vents. A couple of picture below and more in the Picassa album: https://plus.google.com/photos/103483280648956762530/albums/6128781509568554689

Next to last picture shows the broken post that was epoxied back on. Last picture shows two spots, one on each side where it is very rough, like it was broken off. Is this usual on these? I was thinking it is from the molding process.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

stub

Harry,
           Your off to a GREAT start . Keep up the good work. AS always , post plenty of pic!!! 
           Don't over tighten the 2 base screws!!!!!!!!!!!     stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

WesternElectricBen

Looks good so far, Harry.

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

Looks great, Harry!

What kind of 'trim' (aka handsets band luxury level) will you be adding to this phone? I have yet to see someone add standard black bands to a restored AE30 series. I, for one, think the black looks better than gold or nickel bands.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Russ62

Hi,   As a purist, first thing I did when I brought home an A.E. 34 from the swap meet was replace the buffed to brass bands hand set with one that still had painted bands.  Then I ripped out the network implant and mini ringer. Fortunately the original, unique to 30 series ringer mounting and magnet assembly  were still inside so I installed the coil/clapper unit out of a broken A.E. 40 that I always buy when see them cheap for they're parts value, such as dials, single line ringers, etc. It was the early, large ringer so it fit perfectly. Also I have a  correct for a 34 induction coil and terminal strip. However reconstructing an authentic looking wire harness will be tricky so it will probably be awhile before I get to it. I'll make it a non dial for simplicity.  I've left several of my phones with blank outs, even desk stands, to add variety to my collection even though I have enough dials.                         Russell

Doug Rose

Harry....looks wonderful....I am happy you decided to strip it back to black. This is such a wonderful phone. I found mine as a manual set and kept it that way. Mine had brass bands and I was tempted to nickel them, but I decided to leave it as found. You are off to a great start. Your detailed work is amazing. Great pics! I always think of before pictures after I am finished.  :-[  Really Nice!....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

I have nit decided about the bands yet. One still has most of the black on it, the other is down to brass. Since the only other metal is the plunger which is nickel I was leaning towards nickel.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HarrySmith

Question for the AE guys: is there supposed to be a nameplate under the plunger? If so does anyone have one to spare?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Harry....no name plate like a 1A, just the plunger that screws in....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

1939 Catalog shows black trim, and mentions chromium- or gold-plated, but not nickel or unpainted brass.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

HarrySmith

Thanks for the clarification and the table. I was just throwing out as many options as I could think of!

Just to clarify:
By "All" I am referring to handset bands, hex head receiver cap bolt, fingerwheel, number card ring & plunger. All the visible metal parts.

I have stripped the metal brackets from inside the phone and will be repainting them flat black as that is what they appeared to be, mostly. There was some green overspray, some rust and some missing paint.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dan/Panther

Harry;
I think I would plug that other mounting hole, and re-drill and tap it just to be safe. If it cracks in the future, you may not be as lucky the next time.
JMHO.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HarrySmith

There is one on eBay right now that has a combination of finishes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111480247261

$929.00 Buy It Now!!!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only