News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My 1234Gs, Finally Being Restored!!

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, November 29, 2015, 08:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Here's how it looks now, minus some internal components, a vault door and lock (on the way), and a  handset.

Don't worry guys, I stuck to all original WE parts. The upper lower housing and backboard were taken from a heavily refurbished Beige 3 slot, originally built in 1966. 8) The vault door I bought for it is WE from late 1965, and the lock (sold separately, but from the same vault door) is genuine WE.

My dad copied the fonts off the original instruction card, and made an exact replica card. We printed it out on some yellowed cardstock, and it looks great! I think I can post a PDF of that card here, if anyone's interested.

I still need a Green 1966 handset for this. Let me know if anyone has one!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

RotarDad

Wow, Christian - that is a beauty!!  The green color and instruction card sure look authentic!  Great job so far!!!
Paul

WEBellSystemChristian

Thanks Paul! I put a lot of work into it so far; I'm glad it's finally paying off! :)

The color isn't exact, it's slightly lighter than Moss Green. However, it looks very close. The finish should last a long time; it has two coats of color powder, plus one coat clear powder.

What kind of number card would have gone above the instruction card, just the standard TT type? If so, I'll try to find one with a New York area code.
Christian Petterson

RotarDad

Perhaps Stan, Jim or another knowledgeable member can answer the number card question.  I'd guess a 9XXX suffix number for a payphone.
Paul

WEBellSystemChristian

Here it is with the new vault door!
Christian Petterson

AL_as_needed

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on November 29, 2015, 08:21:59 PM
I figured that finding the rest of a 3 slot would be incredibly easy...WRONG!!! Everywhere I looked for a backboard and lower housing, someone would buy it for just a little more than I was willing to pay. Not only that, but I'm looking for parts in duplicate; twice as hard!!!

I think looking back now on at least one of your projects, as we would say here in ex NY-Bell territory....fuhgeddaboudit!   8)

Really nice job pulling that phone together!
TWinbrook7