Main Menu

Ever wonder where old phones go to die?

Started by kleenax, July 20, 2018, 09:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kleenax

http://r.ebay.com/zb88EC
( dead link 04-07-22 )

-----------------------------------

Seller Description:  "Over 300 Old Telephone Carcasses -- Bakelite and plastic housing / bodies from 1930s - 1960s telephones. Many colors and styles. These accumulated beginning in around 1982. Many of the Bakelite cases are wall type. They had magnetos inside and some had a place for dial. Likely one out of every 15 are damaged in some way. Take what you want and leave the rest. There may be 1,000 or more in these piles (outdoors); I don't have time to count them.  Depending on how many you purchase shipping cost will change."
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Doug Rose

When I read a book, I don't dog ear the pages. I don't spill food or drink on it. It's about respect.

It's all about respect. Yup...I said that already.  Very sad indeed.  Must be a (expletive deleted) to cut the grass at the Phoneco estate.....Doug
Kidphone

Key2871

Ran across this auction a couple weeks ago. Phoneco is selling these. From what I've seen, I wouldn't waste my time to even go look. They look beat.
KEN

Jim Stettler

Well,
You have to store the spare phones somewhere.....
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

kleenax

And where the Wood Wall phone graveyard is?

Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

kleenax

How bout the payphone "Hall of Fame" ?
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

kleenax

The UK-based phones have to have a place to lay down too. Couple 100 dial candlesticks (Siemens?) there too.

Look at all of those nice shiny #10 dials just wasting away.....
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

kleenax

And to put the final nail in the "coffin", that POTS station wire has to have a place to lay it's weary head too...
Hey, isn't this COPPER?????
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Owain

Key2871

Those are better than an open field, baking in the sun, getting rained. Snowed, and hailed on.
KEN

kleenax

All of the photos are from Ron & Mary's farm in Wisconsin..
When the trailers (about 20 total) are full, the stuff you acquire has to go somewhere! That's Ron & my significant other, Constance (in orange), and Gene Doom (far right) in one of the cleaner buildings.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

FABphones

Quote from: kleenax on July 21, 2018, 04:13:31 AM
The UK-based phones have to have a place to lay down too. Couple 100 dial candlesticks (Siemens?) there too.

Look at all of those nice shiny #10 dials just wasting away.....

Are all of these photos at the same place?

Those look like Ramsheads with the recall button on that shelf. Those are getting quite hard to find now so are worth a few bob.

Yup, Dials too...   :(

Such a shame to see so many wrecked phones.

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

kleenax

Quote from: FabPhones on July 21, 2018, 11:38:38 AM
Are all of these photos at the same place?

Those look like Ramsheads with the recall button on that shelf. Those are getting quite hard to find now so are worth a few bob.

Yup, Dials too...   :(

Such a shame to see so many wrecked phones.

Yep, all at the same place, and I have shown only but a few photos of what is there. A shame it costs so much to ship to the UK!
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Sargeguy

SOme archaeologist is going to be really confused in a few centuries
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dan/Panther

I'm confused here.
You pick what you want, leave the rest, then he ships them to you. Why not take them with you.
Unless you have to pick from the photos.
Also the ratio is most likely 1 good shell out of each 15.
Oddest thing of all, someone bought them ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson