News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bringing Phones Back from the Dead - Notable Refurbs

Started by Doug Rose, May 05, 2014, 06:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Quote from: Contempra on April 19, 2023, 12:22:15 PMDEAD LINK...

Fortunately nothing was lost other that the slide show I created in Photobucket using the images already posted throughout this topic.

As you may remember, Photobucket enacted a ransom payment to allow stuff on Photobucket to be linked to other sites. I was not going to pay a good sum of money each year for that to happen.

As such, the slide show link went dead but none of the images were lost, along with the text describing each restoration.

I can't say the same for many other images where the primary hosting site was a 3rd party site (google, Imgur, Picasso, Photobucket, etc) which went dark for any one of several reasons causing the external links to the posted on the forum to really go dead causing the loss of a lot of good repair and restoration topics created during the first 8 or so years of the forum. That info is indeed lost forever.

Contempra

Quote from: TelePlay on April 19, 2023, 03:15:26 PMFortunately nothing was lost other that the slide show I created in Photobucket using the images already posted throughout this topic.

As you may remember, Photobucket enacted a ransom payment to allow stuff on Photobucket to be linked to other sites. I was not going to pay a good sum of money each year for that to happen.

As such, the slide show link went dead but none of the images were lost, along with the text describing each restoration.

I can't say the same for many other images where the primary hosting site was a 3rd party site (google, Imgur, Picasso, Photobucket, etc) which went dark for any one of several reasons causing the external links to the posted on the forum to really go dead causing the loss of a lot of good repair and restoration topics created during the first 8 or so years of the forum. That info is indeed lost forever.

Oh , ok , yeah i understand .

TelePlay

Quote from: Contempra on April 19, 2023, 10:07:45 PMOh , ok , yeah i understand .

Actually, when I discovered that PhotoBucket was going to ask for ransom payments, to access images hosted by them,  I took a lot of my time to downloaded all of the existing images from that PhotoBucket slide show into this topic on the forum to preserve them for posterity:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=17486.0

and locked the topic so no atta' boys, "wow" type likes or discussion of the phones is allowed in this archived array of phones brought back from the dead.

So, more than nothing lost, a lot gained by my looking forward to knowing what would happen the day PhotoBucket cut external linking to accounts that did not pay their ransom.

Seems few, if any, members are bringing "barn fresh" phones back to life these days - or just not taking the time to document their restoration projects on the forum as was done up to a few years ago.

Jon Kolger

Thanks for your time and effort to save these images!