News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Antique Hunting in Maine

Started by Doug Rose, February 20, 2022, 04:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Janet informed me at 7AM we were going to Maine to check out the Antiques stores. OKAY!!

They usually have 25% off on Holiday weekends.

Really nice 293 with matching dates handset and cap. A like New C1 with a perfect E1 with cloth cords. Parts for a Black WE stick and a 202. A working RCA radio dated 1947

Great Breakfast at the Maine Diner! Middle of winter and we waited an hour to get a seat. ...Doug
Kidphone

RB

Nice day spent, Doug!
You are fortunate in the hardware, and the software dept ;)

Doug Rose

thanks my friend....twas a fun day. The cleanup begins now!...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

The WE C1 E1 with cloth cords is perfect. Original paint just shines.

WE 293 is in really nice shape, but the outside wire coming from the transmitter is shorting the phone. I will not play with history so I am leaving it alone.

Labor of love....done for the day..Doug
Kidphone

That wooden phone is really cool.
What is it called?
And would it not have a hand crank magneto?

Doug Rose

Western Electric 293A, no Magneto...Doug
Kidphone

Very cool phone indeed.
wiring looks good.
I wonder how it was used with no magneto?

Does "CB" mean Cord Board?
I suppose you take the phone off hook and that off hook current would somehow trigger a signal for the operator?

TelePlay

CB is common battery (central office power) vs. LB local battery where each phone had its own batteries, originally wet and then dry cell.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11316.0

tubaman

Quote from: TelePlay on February 22, 2022, 04:56:46 PM
CB is common battery (central office power) vs. LB local battery where each phone had its own batteries, originally wet and then dry cell.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11316.0

I always understood CB to stand for Central Battery, but that may be a UK thing.
:)

Ahh right of course thanks!
I grasp the concept of the really old magnito or local battery systems.
And I get the late dial / touchtone switched systems
Its these common battery in-between systems that I dont know much about the circuitry side.

TelePlay

All analog phones require a low DC voltage to power their talk circuit.

Magneto phones used the magneto to produce high AC voltage to ring the phone and a low DC voltage local battery for the talk circuit.

Analog phones after magneto used a common or central low voltage DC source, from the central office, for the talk circuit and the the central office sent a high voltage AC down the copper line to ring the phone.

To the best of my limited knowledge, there is no 3rd way (excluding digital telephony with all that entails).

Quote from: TelePlay on February 22, 2022, 07:41:05 PM
To the best of my limited knowledge, there is no 3rd way (excluding digital telephony with all that entails).
ahhh of course thanks.
The 3 ways I was referring to was from the perspective of a central office operator

• The first way was magneto
  • 2nd way was  Central Battery (no magneto crank)
  • 3rd way automatic switching rotary dial / touch tone

countryman

#2 and 3 use basically the same technology on the subscriber side, the telephone sets just get a dial added when upgrading to 3.

The main advantage compared to #1 is that no batteries must be kept up at the subscriber.
#1 in return can work as "party line" with a limited number of extensions with no actual office, even over longer distances. That's why it was used by railway companies until recently.