News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE "Lift Plunger to Dial or Talk"

Started by RDPipes, January 17, 2023, 01:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDPipes

Well, I received the die cut transfers I had custom made today, there really a pain (for me) to apply trying to keep a stead hand becuase once there on there on. Already trashed one transfer (Decal) trying.
Well as you can see its a bit too big so I'm going to have to get him to size them down. I gave him the exact measurements but, I reckon he didn't feel it had to be exact or couldn't do it. I'm hoping he can resize them because if ya ask me there almost identical to the original except for being a bit too big to fit, that's why the arrow is missing. Below you'll see two photos, the original (1st photo) and then the test dummy (decal I ordered and applied).
I'll update when I hear from him and or when I receive the resized ones.

MMikeJBenN27

Looks great.  Most people will never know that it is "too big".  Looks fine.

Mike

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RDPipes

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on January 17, 2023, 02:39:12 PMLooks great.  Most people will never know that it is "too big".  Looks fine.

Mike

Yeah, but I do and that's what counts.

FABphones

Are these the 'wet and slide' (water slide) type decals, or do you have to transfer each letter independently?

Would it be worthwhile to do a trace of the original, and take that in to your printer alongside a photograph and leave those with him to give him a better understanding of what you are aiming for. If he hasn't seen what your project is it may help guide him better.

I have never handled one of those phones to confirm, is the original white lettering etched into the phone? In which case would the use of a strong magnifying glass and a fine white paint pen recover the original paintwork more accurately, or is it a shell which never had the wording?

Another option, print your own water slide decals. Water slide decal paper is available for both Inkjet and Laser printers.

Eg:
Water slide Inkjet paper:
https://www.amazon.com/Sunnyscopa-Inkjet-Waterslide-Decal-sheets/dp/B07FDN4YXM

Water slide Laser paper:
https://www.amazon.com/Sunnyscopa-Waterslide-Urethane-Standard-sheets/dp/B07FSF69RM
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

RDPipes

CJ, these are die cut transfers, in other words each letter is separate and held in place by a clear piece of vinyl on top and beneath is a waxed paper that you peel off and apply the decal as a whole then peel off the clear vinyl making it look much more like the original without a clear border that shows.
He is someone I found online that said he could do it after seeing the photos so I sent him the exact measurements of the lettering and spacing and the area size where it went.

The shell I had tested this on is not the one that had the lettering originally, I figured I'd test it out on another first before trying it on the original. Not making up one, I really do have a 302 A/C "Lift Plunger to Dial or Talk" phone, I just haven't posted a photo of it because of its damage lettering.
I have printed my own water slide decals before for fan badges and labels and they work fairly well for that application but, I want something closer to the original and sturdier.

FABphones

Quote from: RDPipes on January 17, 2023, 06:07:02 PM...these are die cut transfers, in other words each letter is separate and held in place by a clear piece of vinyl on top and beneath is a waxed paper that you peel off...

Ah, missed reading that. Not easy to get the alignment correct, but it probably will be easier when you cover the old lettering as it would act as a template (but the font needs to be spot on).

I have water slide decals (not for that model) which are an exact copy and look good when applied. Because they come away in one movement there are no alignment issues (just the placement to get right).

If the letter area is recessed, another form of paint application used by artists is to brush the paint over the complete area, immediately and gently wiping off the excess from the raised (higher) surface. This leaves the paint only in the recessed area.

Could you add a close up photo of your phone's lettering, I'd like to see it.
 :)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

RDPipes

Quote from: FABphones on January 17, 2023, 06:34:47 PM...If the letter area is recessed, another form of paint application used by artists is to brush the paint over the complete area, immediately and gently wiping off the excess from the raised (higher) surface. This leaves the paint only in the recessed area.

Could you add a close up photo of your phone's lettering...
No recesses left and only about half the lettering is visible anymore and without the white paint, not worth taking a photo of to tell you the truth.

RDPipes

Well I think we've got a good enough match now and I'm going to have them print up about a half dozen of'em.
This one had a couple of letters that moved in the process so I decided to use it for a test run. Other then a letter being off I think it's just about perfect.
The 1st photo is of the decal, the 2nd is of the original heat stamped one.

RDPipes

Finally got this phone done and working. Had to have them resize the the transfers a couple of times but, there right now, for me anyway. I've included a few photos to prove yes I have a real WE302 A/C "Lift Plunger to Talk or Dial" phone. The first couple is of it showing the damage to the lettering and the H13 stamp at the mouse hole (base wasn't stamped).

RDPipes

And one more.

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RDPipes

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 21, 2023, 02:06:54 PMNICE!

Thank you Harry, there for awhile I didn't think I'd ever be able to restore it.
Thankfully I was able to find someone that had the skill to replicate the lettering for me.

HarrySmith

They did an excellent job on the lettering. You did a great job on the restoration, as usual :D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RDPipes

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 21, 2023, 04:31:42 PMThey did an excellent job on the lettering. You did a great job on the restoration, as usual :D

Thank you so much Harry, I work hard at trying to get everything as perfect as I'm able to.
I just got done making a clear plexiglass stand for the handset so your able to see the lettering
while on display, came out well for the size piece I hand on hand. I'm going to see if I can get a longer piece so I don't have to have the Velcro holding it on.