News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Saga of an Aging Payphone

Started by Markgregory, August 12, 2018, 05:23:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Markgregory

This payphone was on the side of a small convenience store near my home in Advance, North Carolina. One day I decided to stop in and ask if the payphone worked. From behind the counter a female cashier thought for a moment and responded, "I don't know."

Three construction workers waiting on line to buy drinks  looked at me and I could tell they were also interested. I explained that today payphones are operated by private companies and are serviced and cleaned by their owners. For a payphone to be profitable it must generate at least $100 or more a month.

The store attendant chimed in and said, "Well then I am pretty sure it doesn't work because I've never seen anyone service it."

One of the men commented. "Does it have a dial tone?  If it does then it works."

"Give me a minute,” I responded. I’ll be right back."

I walked outside, lifted the beat-up handset and listened. When I was satisfied I had my answer I put the handset back on its cradle and went inside. ”Dead as a door nail,” I reported.

One of the guys repeated my words, "Dead as a door nail."

We all laughed and I left.

I looked for the mop and payphone every time I drove by our country store.  For many months the mop was still there, leaning on the enclosure that protected the payphone from the weather. However, by September 2013, the mop was gone and only the phone remained.  A few years later the outside of the convenience store was completely renovated and the payphone was removed. I wondered if they would re-install it when the fix-up was done.  Unfortunately, they did not. It didn’t surprise me, that’s just the way it is.

tallrick

I learned my lesson better grab all you can before they go to scrap

Key2871

Even the few cocots that were around here they are gone now. Even the company owned ones are gone, just a few boothettes. Are kicking around, and those are beat.
KEN

Markgregory

The Last Payphone In Advance, Part II

As posted previously as the topic's first post, the payphone in the photograph was on the side of a convenience store near my home in Advance, North Carolina. One day I decided to stop in and ask if the payphone worked. From behind the counter a female cashier thought for a moment and responded, "I don't know."

Three construction workers waiting on line to buy drinks  looked at me and I could tell they were also interested. I explained that today payphones are operated by private companies and are serviced and cleaned by their owners. For a payphone to be profitable it must generate at least $100 or more a month.

The store attendant chimed in and said, "Well then I am pretty sure it doesn't work because I've never seen anyone service it."
   One of the men commented. "Does it have a dial tone?  If it does then it works."

"Give me a minute," I responded. I'll be right back."

I walked outside, lifted the beat-up handset to my ear and listened.
        When I was satisfied I had my answer I put the handset on its cradle and went back inside.
       "Dead as a door nail," I reported.
   One of the guys repeated my words, "Dead as a door nail."
        We all laughed and I left.

I looked for the mop and payphone every time I drove by our country store.  For many months the mop was there, leaning on the enclosure that protected the payphone from the weather. However, by September 2013, the mop was gone and only the phone remained.  A few years later the outside of the store was completely renovated and the payphone was removed. I wondered if they would re-install the payphone when the fix-up was done.  Unfortunately, they did not. It didn't surprise me, that's just the way it is.

In 1998 there were about 2.6 million payphones. Today, there are only about 100,000  and that number continues to diminish.  All large phone companies exited the payphone business.  In 2001 Bellsouth was the first to announce its exit, followed by Sprint in 2006, AT&T in 2007 and Verizon in 2011. While I do like  my cell phone, it makes me sad knowing our Advance country store payphone is now just a memory, like all the others disappearing across America.

Key2871

Sad but true. There was a couple cocots in my small town and two years ago all signs of them were gone.
The owner, a rich guy who owned the two buildings they were on had them armored to the hilt, though I don't recall any vandalism because they were in prominent areas well visible from the road. They were elcotel with so much armored stuff on them it all had to be removed to check the coin box.

There were two Verizon pay stations in a couple odd areas left, but even those are gone now.

I guess the cell business is booming because I see eight year old kids with new smart phones, even my kids want them now. But I know how they are, so I keep saying not right now, because I'll be replacing then about every couple months..

You should have asked if you could have it, even when the outside was being redone. It would have been a piece of local history that and your story and picture would have been neat to have.
KEN

jsowers

Gosh, you're not far from me. I'm just north of Lexington, NC. Everyone here on the Forum except maybe Benny needs instruction on how to pronounce the name of the town where you live, Advance. It's AD-vance. Accent on the first syllable. Don't know why. From your use of the term "waiting on line" I have a feeling you're not a native North Carolinian and that's OK with me. I think it's a great place to live.

I think our last maintained payphones in Lexington were outside the phone company central office and their satellite offices, and especially after they were bought out and moved completely out of the building, which is now a white elephant. It's been about ten years now.

I've been to Advance many times and probably driven past the store you mentioned. My uncle Joe lives there on Peoples Creek Rd. Small world, huh?
Jonathan

Markgregory

Absolutely small world. I too live off of People's Creek Road, in a Dick Anderson Community named March Woods. You made me chuckle when you noted the correct pronunciation of Advance. So many people don't get that. LOL. You are also right that we are not native to the area. We actually lived in Florida for 45 years before moving here. We have been living in Advance for 11 years. The country store is located right across the street from the new fire department on 801. It used to be closer to Peoples Creek Road but they sold that building and now there is a business there that makes fresh chicken and beef pot pies. Please let me know you saw this note.  Good hearing from you. Give Lexington my regards. 👍😃 Mark

Markgregory

Ha, don't tell my wife I posted this story twice. Don't want her to know I am going senile. LOL.

Mark

jsowers

Well, I'm glad you posted it again. I missed it the first time and would have never known you were here. I don't collect payphones and hardly ever used them. Most of the ones here were postpay and the one time I used one to call my grandmother, she hung up before I could get the money all into the phone. And it ate my money anyway. Not a pleasant experience.

Mark, I'll give Lexington your regards. Maybe some day we will have a phone show in NC and two people will come?  ;)
Jonathan

Pourme

Quote from: jsowers on March 07, 2019, 11:11:55 AM
Well, I'm glad you posted it again. I missed it the first time and would have never known you were here. I don't collect payphones and hardly ever used them. Most of the ones here were postpay and the one time I used one to call my grandmother, she hung up before I could get the money all into the phone. And it ate my money anyway. Not a pleasant experience.

Mark, I'll give Lexington your regards. Maybe some day we will have a phone show in NC and two people will come?  ;)

I live in Caldwell County, NC....I'D COME!... :P
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service