News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Look What I found

Started by Doug Rose, November 16, 2020, 03:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I bought a collection about a year and a half ago. I was going through a box of stuff that I did not think I could sell when I saw this.

Rubbermaid 1973.  Forty Seven years old. Maybe there is an Antique Rubbermaid Forum??  ;D

My friends mother had one in her kitchen, Avocado green

This is till sealed or partially sealed with no damage or fading.

I just can't toss it.....Doug
Kidphone

Pourme

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Stormcrash

Have to kind of laugh that one of it's selling points is "gives you a cradle to hold the phone off hook" while it simultaneously covers up the off hook cradle rests designed into the phone itself, though most indications seem to be that not a lot of people know about that feature of their Bell Telephone anyways :P

FABphones

Quote from: Stormcrash on November 16, 2020, 05:03:16 PM
...it simultaneously covers up the off hook cradle rests designed into the phone itself...

Which phone. Would you add a photo to demo this. Thanks.
:P :P
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

compubit

Hmmmm....

Doesn't appear to support a standard AE-90...

Just sayin'

JIm
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Doug Rose

Quote from: FABphones on November 16, 2020, 05:12:36 PM
Which phone. Would you add a photo to demo this. Thanks.
:P :P
CJ ...looks like a WE 554 in the pics...Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 16, 2020, 08:51:57 PM
...looks like a WE 554 in the pics...Doug

And a Trimline.

I have a few of the 554, I must be overlooking something as can't see how to hang this off hook (short of it swinging from the bottom) if that is the model Stormcrash mentions.

:-\

Stormcrash

Quote from: FABphones on November 17, 2020, 06:28:52 AM
And a Trimline.

I have a few of the 554, I must be overlooking something as can't see how to hang this off hook (short of it swinging from the bottom) if that is the model Stormcrash mentions.

:-\

On the top of the 554 there is a ridge on each side. This ridge can hold the receiver cup with the transmitter resting against the side of the phone. On the wall Trimline the fins on the sides can hook under the receiver in the same spot the hook switch would and hold it in a similar position. I don't have a 554 but here's a pic of a trimline showing how it holds the handset off hook

Key2871

I remember those phone center things that rubbermaid produced.
I saw both 554 and 2554's used with those.
My best friends mom had one in her kitchen, Harvest gold if I remember right.
KEN

SUnset2

The picture below shows how to hang the handset on the side of your 554 while you are looking for the person being called. That's in case you don't have one of those handy Rubbermaid thingies.

FABphones

Quote from: SUnset2 on November 17, 2020, 11:16:01 PM
The picture below shows how to hang the handset on the side of your 554...

Thanks for that. I'll bet plenty are keeping quiet about not knowing.  ;D
And I quite like the 554 in red.

Ian Oakes

As a novice collector I am amazed  just what I can learn on this forum, I  have several rotary Trimline wall phones but never considered that the handset could be hung of the phone body, this makes a great way to display .looks very cool, love it,    Ian , Australia..

Key2871

I actually figured it out on my own many years ago. I had put a trimline on the wall at my mom's house, had to answer the phone and find a place to hold the handset while I went in search.
And saw the small wing on the side on the side of the ITT set and tried.
Sure enough it held the handset, so I could go get a pen and paper. It was a eirly version so the "wing" was small, but it did work. I had no idea at that time if it was supposed to do that or not, but it did. Didnt have a lot of luck with the 554 I had once, but it may have been the wall I had it on.
KEN