News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Metal Used in Bell System Payphone Light

Started by Doug Rose, November 23, 2020, 10:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

This had bad paint that was chipping and just didn't look right. I stripped it and was surprised to find a Brass and Copper mixture in the metal.

Some parts brass.... some parts copper. I thought it would be Brass, but I am pleasantly surprised. Looks more realistic without the flash. A mottled look to it.

Even the Bell System shield is a mixture....Doug
Kidphone

HowardPgh

Whenever I saw them they were in some sort of statuary bronze color.
Howard

Key2871

At first glamce itt looks like a giant gold ingot with the bell logo.
But it does look nicer than painted.
KEN

countryman

I can't imagine the color varies due to an uneven distribution of the metals within the alloy. It's rather an effect of oxidation or other influences, including the stripping process.
I guess this is pressed sheet metal? Brass or Bronze is a quality choice for that purpose. European companies at that time would have used pressed iron, accepting a less detailed logo...
Thanks for showing this example of good workmanship!

FABphones

To me it looks like the copper plate has worn off. The area around the bell is typical of how recessed areas often retain colour as opposed to the parts which stand proud.

Still nice though.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

Quote from: FABphones on November 23, 2020, 05:17:43 PM
To me it looks like the copper plate has worn off. The area around the bell is typical of how recessed areas often retain colour as opposed to the parts which stand proud.

Still nice though.

CJ....I thought that as well, that it might have been copper plate. I put a wire brush on my drill and went to the back that had the same mottling and went to work on the copper color area. Couldn't make any change....still copper color.

Countryman....As for the stripper doing it, I could see the brass and copper color before I started, just thought the copper
was tarnished brass.

Still, kind of cool looking....Doug
Kidphone