News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Beehive arrived today

Started by foots, April 15, 2010, 12:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foots

My much awaited Leich beehive arrived today, and it ain't broken  ;D . This was a perfect example of How To Pack a Phone For Shipping. It was in a very large box labled "fragile" and stuffed very tightly with packing paper  (and I mean a lot) with the base of the phone and handset wrapped seperately in an unbeleivably large amount of bubble wrap. I honestly feel that this would have survived a 10 ft. drop with no problem.

I am also very pleased that phone is actually much nicer than the ebay pictures made it look. The bakelite is nice and shiny and should polish up very well. The cloth handset cord is in great shape too. I'll need to get a line cord of course.  The crank turns well. I'm going to borrow a camera so I can get some much needed pics of this and the rest of my little collection.

EDIT: I did find one very small crack in the back right by a mounting screw. It's not from shipping, I presume its from the screw. It's not big so I'll see about fixing that so it doesn't get any worse.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

McHeath

Whew!  Glad it arrived intact, I was worried that such a large and complex phone would arrive in about 300 fragments.  Looking forward to seeing some pics.

LarryInMichigan

foots,

I am glad to hear that it arrived intact.  Aren't you glad that all of the worrying was for naught?  Whatever you do now, don't drop it :)

Larry

Wallphone

I have had at least four Beehives damaged during transit. I had one person (expletive deleted) pack two Beehives and two other Leich's in the same box with minimal padding because they barely fit into the box. It was a total train wreck. I have heard of a Beehive being packed half way decent only to have rough handling make the magneto break loose from the bakelite mounts and destroy the phone from the inside out. It is best to buy them at the telephone shows. Then if it gets broken, it is your own fault.
Dougpav

LarryInMichigan

This discussion makes me wonder how these phones were originally packaged in the factory.  The manufacturers must have used some specially-designed packaging to keep everything in place and prevent breakage.  The packaging for the beehives must have been quite a piece of work.

Larry

foots

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on April 15, 2010, 09:41:00 PM
This discussion makes me wonder how these phones were originally packaged in the factory.  The manufacturers must have used some specially-designed packaging to keep everything in place and prevent breakage.  The packaging for the beehives must have been quite a piece of work.

Larry

No kidding Larry, the bakelite on the lower housing is thin. Wallphone, I'd love to buy stuff from a telephone show but there aren't any shows within a thousand miles of here. Looking at this Leich, I can't help but wonder where it was installed and who made the last call on it.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"