News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE Copper Plated 684A Su8bset

Started by Doug Rose, January 16, 2017, 02:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I went to remove the bad paint and thought I saw some copper. I stripped it, this is phase one still more to come. I have seen a few 684 like this with a 302 ringer in them. Was this a WE upgrade?...Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

The 684 subscriber set is smaller in height above the back plane, manufactured starting in ca. 1930.

This is a 634-type subscriber set, but was manufactured in the 1910s or 1920s as one of the 500-series subscriber sets.  However, going by the catalogs, some types of the 634 class were still manufactured in the 1930s.

Western Electric experimented with various methods to protect equipment from corrosion and copper plating was likely one of them.  Accounts exist that describe the annual loss and failures in the plant due to corrosion in the millions of dollars.   I have no detailed information during which exact time frame copper plating was tried, but my observation from acquired sets, that were dated in 1929, seems to indicated that this was done in the second half of the 1920s.

PS: I don't think it is ever necessary to remove all paint.  Just sand the existing finish to remove any roughness and repaint with a semi-gloss enamel paint.

Jim Stettler

I have seen those before. I suspect it is going to stay copper but look prettier.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

thanks Karl.....good info. I saw the copper and gave it a go..... As Jim said to look prettier, but there  are few few spots that might no be able to be removed, but gives it character  8)

Forgot the bottom pic and the subset cord is in great shape...Doug
Kidphone

Pourme

I'd polish it up a bit and have a unique sub set!

But that's just me... :)
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Jim Stettler

It might look good with a set like this>

Jim S.
You live, You learn,

Pourme

Benny

Jim Stettler

It  is a copper plated retirement set. I used to own it but traded it away.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

Pourme

It would look good used with Doug's copper subset.
Benny

Sargeguy

I have a 334 subset in copper and I think Dennis Markham restored one.  I have never seen a 634 in copper.  I think these were used in marine environments where corrosion risk was high.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

unbeldi

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 16, 2017, 05:51:11 PM
I have a 334 subset in copper and I think Dennis Markham restored one.  I have never seen a 634 in copper.  I think these were used in marine environments where corrosion risk was high.

I have a subset that was in service in the Belfast, Maine area.  Certainly close to a lot of water.

Dennis Markham

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 16, 2017, 05:51:11 PM

This is the 334A that I stripped while doing a refurb.  It had many coats of paint on it.  By removing the outer layers I ended up removing some of the original paint.  I just plowed through and brought it down to the copper color, then sprayed with clear coat.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2433.msg36717#msg36717

Sorry to hijack your thread, Doug.

Pourme

Now I want to look under the paint at my subsets to see if any of them are copper.
Benny

Nick in Manitou

Quote from: Pourme on January 16, 2017, 09:01:58 PM
Now I want to look under the paint at my subsets to see if any of them are copper.

Magnet?

unbeldi

Quote from: Nick in Manitou on January 16, 2017, 11:08:49 PM
Magnet?
These subsets are made from steel and only plated with copper.

H.G. Arlt, Finishes on the Metal Parts of Telephone Apparatus, BLR 9(4), 175 (December 1932)

Nickel platings and composite finishes
consisting of combinations of nickel
and copper platings are used as rust
preventives on parts on which the
use of zinc is not advisable.

See also:
W.G. Knox, Lacquering and Plating in the Laboratories, BLR 7(12), 162 (December 1929)