News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

302 won't dial out

Started by Thomas, February 07, 2015, 02:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

I just called our cell phone, 1 area code then number and i gently made dial return a bit faster and the call went through. I was able to talk to my wife upstairs in the kitchen, I feel like Alexander Graham Bell!!! Now what? I did oil the visible gears  and other moving points on the dial with sewing machine oil, very sparingly a day ago. I can see the spring behind the dial wheel and numbers that make the dial return to rest. You think it's worn from age or maybe needs lubrication?

TelePlay

Quote from: Thomas on February 08, 2015, 02:43:10 PM
You think it's worn from age or maybe needs lubrication?

Most likely needs cleaning to get the old oil, and hardened oil mixed with dust, out of the working parts. A lot of members take the dial out and spray the back areas with an electronic contact cleaner, the non-lubricating type and blow out what comes loose. Others use an ultrasonic cleaner to remove the sticky stuff.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=285.msg2467#msg2467

Then, sparingly apply oil to just a few points on the dial mechanism.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=7899.0

There are a lot of topic on the forum, many on this board

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?board=25.0

that cover a lot. The above two links are just to get you started on your search. There are even post out there showing what points to lubricate on a dial so as not to over oil the dial and recreate the problem. Other members may have links to those sites at hand.

This is an AE dial, that was quite dirty, that I cleaned with an ultrasonic cleaner (after pictures only - forgot to take before shots)

unbeldi

Ok, that explains your problem completely, but it doesn't solve it.

In fact, it's not easy at all to solve this, as the speed of no. 6 dials cannot be adjusted like it was possible on no. 4 and 5 dials, in which the governor had an adjustment screw.

I don't recall having a drastically slow No. 6 dial.   I think I would clean the entire dial in the ultrasonic cleaner after removing the face plate.  I have had quite good results with that on other dials, but don't recall having to do it for this type.  I use hot water with a good shot of Dawn Powerclean as detergent.
Just oiling the dial may not be good enough.

It's amazing to see the plume of dirt arise from a dial when the unit is powered on.  I leave it in there for 10-15 minutes.

Thomas

Oh man! Ok, sounds like clock repair, which i do on a small scale. Don't have an ultrasonic cleaner. I clean clock movements in ammonia diluted in water then a denatured alcohol bath to get all moisture out. Maybe just a good hot water and Dawn soak?  When I undo nut on front of dial what happens to the spring behind it? Will it totally unwind and come flying out or will it stay in place? Thanks so much to all who have helped on this. It's been frustrating but fun. Can't wait for this thing to work!!

poplar1

There was a design problem with the early 7A dials, and possibly with the early 6A dials, which would indeed cause the spring to unwind. I don't recall the "patch" for this. Not serious in any case; you just need to know how many turns when reassembling the front if this happens.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Quote from: Thomas on February 08, 2015, 04:09:36 PM
Oh man! Ok, sounds like clock repair, which i do on a small scale. Don't have an ultrasonic cleaner. I clean clock movements in ammonia diluted in water then a denatured alcohol bath to get all moisture out. Maybe just a good hot water and Dawn soak?  When I undo nut on front of dial what happens to the spring behind it? Will it totally unwind and come flying out or will it stay in place? Thanks so much to all who have helped on this. It's been frustrating but fun. Can't wait for this thing to work!!

I have never had a No. 6 dial spring come apart by itself. Wouldn't worry about that too much.
Yes, perhaps just soaking will do, and the ammonia treatment might just work the same on dials.

poplar1

If the hex nut holding the finger wheel is painted black, then you probably don't need to worry:

3.21 If the fingerwheel is removed from a 6- or
7-type dial of early manufacture, install a
P-12A951 hub retainer (Fig. 13) to prevent the
motor spring and hub assembly from jumping out
of its proper position. (Replace dial if this occurs.)
Dials of later manufacture (identified by a black
finish fingerwheel nut) have either been equipped
with a retainer or the hub has been staked on
the shaft.

Source: BSP Section 501-162-100 Issue 8
Fig. 13 attached below
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Thomas

WORKING!! Cleaned all the gears, in place, then re-oiled. Removed nut, washer and fingerwheel and numbers to expose spring.
Sprayed spring  with a de-greaser type cleaner, blew it out well, rinsed with denatured alcohol. Than after at least 12 attempts I was able to rewind the spring and reattach with one extra time around. It wasn't easy but I got it done and the phone works great! Thank you so much to all who responded to my problem with help.
I do need a black rubber line cord for this phone, I'll try the For Sale page, hopefully someone will have one. Who knows, maybe I'll find another phone to  bring back from the dead! Don't tell my wife though because I have a dozen manual typewriters to clean and repair!!  Thanks again

unbeldi

Good job.

The feeling of success makes it all worthwhile.

The gear ratio from the governor to the finger wheel shaft is quite high so the slightest impediment on the governor end in the chain effects the dial speed greatly.