News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE Type 301A

Started by magicbrain, June 06, 2018, 08:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicbrain

I kept going back to this listing on eBay - a WE type 301A, missing the magneto, induction coil & all wiring - but the wood appeared to be in descent shape with the hook switch, ringer, receiver & transmitter still present.

https://tinyurl.com/ycu87sr3

There was no close up of the transmitter tag in the listing, but it sure looked like it was marked "A.B.T.Co." - so I decided to place a bid, even though the cross country shipping was high.
I ended up winning it for $70.96 + $86.56 shipping for total of $157.52
It showed up today with no further damage and yes, the transmitter is an A.B.T.Co. !

Bruce

kleenax

Quote from: magicbrain on June 06, 2018, 08:11:52 PM
I kept going back to this listing on eBay - a WE type 301A, missing the magneto, induction coil & all wiring - but the wood appeared to be in descent shape with the hook switch, ringer, receiver & transmitter still present.

https://tinyurl.com/ycu87sr3

There was no close up of the transmitter tag in the listing, but it sure looked like it was marked "A.B.T.Co." - so I decided to place a bid, even though the cross country shipping was high.
I ended up winning it for $70.96 + $86.56 shipping for total of $157.52
It showed up today with no further damage and yes, the transmitter is an A.B.T.Co. !

You snagged a good one it looks like!  Well done!
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Sargeguy

Excellent find!!!  The A.B.T. Co. transmitter makes it well worth the price.  They are much harder to come by than the 7-digit version.  The phone looks good, you'll need to lose the magnet and find a real lock. The parts should be easy to come by, I may even have an extra magneto if you need one. I have a complete one exactly like it if you need reference photos
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

RB

Man, that wood does look nice!

magicbrain

Quote from: Sargeguy on June 06, 2018, 09:54:53 PM
The phone looks good, you'll need to lose the magnet and find a real lock. The parts should be easy to come by, I may even have an extra magneto if you need one. I have a complete one exactly like it if you need reference photos

It appears this phone was in the process of being "modernized" with the wiring & terminals, etc. removed & the wood refinished, but never completed.

The lock is ok they just drilled out the lock plate & added a cabinet door magnet - I have some junker 300K boxes to rob terminals & wires from except this should use the type 47A 5 bar magneto with the red magnets?

Yes, some reference pictures showing the wiring would be great - Thanks.

Bruce

Sargeguy

Yes, it should use the one with the red magnets.  The one I have is a parts magneto, the shaft is crooked.  It looks like you have a shaft, though, so let me know if you need it.  I am packing for Lancaster, I'll send pics of the wiring when I get back.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

kleenax

Quote from: magicbrain on June 07, 2018, 02:19:53 PM
It appears this phone was in the process of being "modernized" with the wiring & terminals, etc. removed & the wood refinished, but never completed.

The lock is ok they just drilled out the lock plate & added a cabinet door magnet - I have some junker 300K boxes to rob terminals & wires from except this should use the type 47A 5 bar magneto with the red magnets?

Yes, some reference pictures showing the wiring would be great - Thanks.

Can't remember who was selling it, but there was one of these Red Magnetos for sale at the show. It was most probably pulled from a 301 at one time. $40 as I recall
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Sargeguy

Yes and It the correct brackets as well.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Here is the link to the one I bought back in 2013:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.msg113124#msg113124

I paid significantly more than you did. I thought it was a bargain back then, now it'd be full retail. :(
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Did that magneto work out?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

magicbrain

Quote from: Sargeguy on July 09, 2018, 03:36:17 PM
Did that magneto work out?

Yes, Thanks - I used the remains that came with the phone to repair the one you sent me - just haven't had much time lately to work on this project.
Bruce