1 (0.9%)
12 (10.3%)
20 (17.1%)
25 (21.4%)
1953-1957
72 (61.5%)

Total Members Voted: 117

McHeath

My 51' has the same small lettering, and it was broken by the poor packing of the seller. :(  I glued it back together and all, but geesh they aren't making any more of them.

Jim Stettler

Shouldn't another catagory be added to this poll? I am thinking 1948.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

McHeath

Yeah, D/P blew the category wide open!!

Jim Stettler

Quote from: McHeath on March 24, 2010, 11:21:16 PM
Yeah, D/P blew the category wide open!!
I would say D/P is the current title holder. I suspect he will keep the title for a long time.

Jim
You live, You learn,

dencins

Quote from: benhutcherson on May 06, 2009, 07:48:14 PM

"And feet as well, apparently."

Interestingly enough, the feet on this one are screwed on(in the 302 style) as opposed to being riveted on like on every other 500 set I've ever encountered.

This answers one of my questions.  A couple of years  ago I received a bag of various leather footpads.  Most were 302 screw-on, eight were Galions, seven were 500 rivet-on type and one had the shape of a 500 but was screw-on.

I did not think any 500's had screw-on leather footpads but this proves it did.

Dennis   

Jim Stettler

Quote from: dencins on March 25, 2010, 12:22:57 AM

Interestingly enough, the feet on this one are screwed on(in the 302 style) as opposed to being riveted on like on every other 500 set I've ever encountered.

This answers one of my questions.  A couple of years  ago I received a bag of various leather footpads.  Most were 302 screw-on, eight were Galions, seven were 500 rivet-on type and one had the shape of a 500 but was screw-on.

Dennis   
Did WE date the feet?
Jim
You live, You learn,

dencins

Quote from: Jim S. on March 25, 2010, 12:24:18 AM
Quote from: dencins on March 25, 2010, 12:22:57 AM

Dennis   
Did WE date the feet?
Jim

I have never seen a date stamp of any type on a footpads or any of the internal plates.

Dennis

Ampico66

I feel dumb now for passing tens of thousands of those black things and never bothering to date check.  Who knew 1950 was such a banner year?  Not me!  I once found a soft plastic 500 set, grey, but oh how I want the slate blue one or rose beige. 

rp2813

Yeah,  D/P needs to take the survey and claim his title.  I'm betting his is a '49 and not a '48 (based on the presence of bezel dots)  and that there will be no need to change anything on the survey itself.
Ralph

Jim Stettler

Quote from: rp2813 on March 30, 2010, 03:59:43 AM
Yeah,  D/P needs to take the survey and claim his title.  I'm betting his is a '49 and not a '48 (based on the presence of bezel dots)  and that there will be no need to change anything on the survey itself.

I think they added the "dots" before or during the 48 field trials. Something to keep in mind was that the 500 design was in the works for years before the '48 field trials. During this time a lot of different designs were tested for the various components.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I once read an article about TT design trials. This was many years before any TT dials were produced.  They tried many. many configurations and evaluated many factors before decideing on the TT button placement. The document is probably in one of the telephone club archives.
It is interesting to see how much effort went into the design.
Jim
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Another catagory that could be added would be field trial 500 set.
D/P has that one.
Jim
You live, You learn,

Dan/Panther

I have to admit, at this point it does not qualify. It's only part of a phone.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

rp2813

Ralph

bingster

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 30, 2010, 10:53:35 PM
I have to admit, at this point it does not qualify. It's only part of a phone.

I think at this point the entire collecting community is probably willing to give you the title, despite the missing parts.
= DARRIN =

bwanna

donna