News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Found on Ebay - info from experts needed.

Started by shortrackskater, March 10, 2017, 07:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shortrackskater

I found this AE on Ebay. The seller had multiple pictures, excellent quality, of the outside but none of the inside so I asked him if he's post some, which he did right away. Soon as I saw the "no hopper" I though "oh here's anther phone missing parts." But the more I looked at it, the more intrigued I became and the more interesting this phone became since it appears to be (from my understanding) a pay phone that was perhaps in service a long long time. It obviously started out as a "stock"   LPB 8655 but things have been added over the years. Now it looks like a semi post pay (?) phone, from what I see by the pictures on the info cards. I love the "flip up" guard that keeps the user from putting in coins first.
Hope some of the experts here can take a look at this and tell me if I'm correct. I think this phone would be GREAT in a collection since it shows literally the end of an era of three slot payphones. It's been painted over the chrome but it looks like it could clean up well, plus it's got all the signage too. I'll add a couple pictures here but go to the link since he's got a lot of large sized pictures. I also gave him the link to THIS site so he can learn more as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172569659740
Mark J.

rdelius

It is an LPB 86 AE set with a upgrade board to st the rate for the call.The flip up notice is not seen much,might have been made by popper (sp)

shortrackskater

Why the weird looking chute where the relay would be? And why no relay? What I'm wondering was, did this phone likely start off WITH a relay and then end its life without one as a semi post pay? What's behind the board at the top? How were the coins sorted and registered?
Mark J.

rdelius

Semi postpay sets do not have a hopper and relay assy .This is a n LPB86 set with a updated adjustable coin controller,Jumpers set rates.Coin triggers are in the upper housing so each coin is counted tward the total

shortrackskater

Ah! Thanks. Do you have a picture of that unit you could post? I'd be interested in seeing it.
Mark J.

rdelius

no photos.the board in the lower housing ts a Teletronics which senses polarity to mute the transmitter.I think the totalizer board in the upper housing was a GTE product

shortrackskater

Thanks anyway.
I wonder if anyone here has some photos?
Mark J.

mentalstampede

There's another almost identical one on eBay right now. Different seller (looks to be from the Phone I Inc collection of all places!), but configuration appears to be exactly the same down to the instruction cards. I'm quite intrigued by the totalizer board in particular. This upgrade was obviously the last gasp of the three-slot paystation in telco service.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201899237649
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

mentalstampede

I just got my hands on a phone with one of those boards in it. Here is a closer up image of it. This is a prepay phone. The jumper block where the rate is sate has a jumper to select prepay or semipostpay as well.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

shortrackskater

I think that last ebay listing posted could be worded more accurately. It's not original 1957. It's part '57, part '72, especially with that circuit board inside. Now that I've been looking at a lot more payphones, it baffles me that so many sellers say "original" "right off the wall" "untouched" but in 99% of the cases, the phones are missing parts, like the coin relay. Or they've been "modified" like this one. But at least this is not some hack mod by someone!
Thanks for all the information.
Mark J.

Stan S

Kenn and Mark
Assuming the rest of the payphone is really prepay and working, if you hook that phone to a payphone controller the totalizer will work just fine even though its prehistoric TTL technology.

Please note: The above was a shameless advertisement for my payphone controller.

Xspurt needed.
X= an unknown quantity.
Spurt= a drip under pressure.

Stan S.

mentalstampede

I'm counting on it... I'll post another thread in the morning when I get a chance to really dig into this phone and see that it is everything it appears to be.

Quote from: Stan S on April 26, 2017, 12:57:03 AM
Kenn and Mark
Assuming the rest of the payphone is really prepay and working, if you hook that phone to a payphone controller the totalizer will work just fine even though its prehistoric TTL technology.

Please note: The above was a shameless advertisement for my payphone controller.

Xspurt needed.
X= an unknown quantity.
Spurt= a drip under pressure.

Stan S.

shortrackskater

Any new info on your phone mentalstampede?
Mark J.

mentalstampede

I haven't had a chance to open it back up and look into it any further. I've been working on my AE120B single slot and various others in the meantime. Hopefully, I'll have a chance to get this back on the bench soon.