"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Question about 283B Plugs

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, February 20, 2015, 08:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Hey Guys!!

I have a quick question about 283B 4-prong plugs on colored 500 sets. Are the matching plugs on colored sets painted or molded in that color?

I was wondering, since I have a project coming up that I might want to find phone color-matched paint to use on a badly-discolored spare plug cover.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

unbeldi

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on February 20, 2015, 08:34:51 PM
Hey Guys!!

I have a quick question about 283B 4-prong plugs on colored 500 sets. Are the matching plugs on colored sets painted or molded in that color?

I was wondering, since I have a project coming up that I might want to find phone color-matched paint to use on a badly-discolored spare plug cover.
Depends when.
In the 1950s 283B plugs were only available in ivory and brown, and the vast majority of phones were wired, not plugged in.   There is an entire discussion thread here about 4-prong plug history.

WesternElectricBen

I don't remember seeing any paint chipped plugs.

Ben

andre_janew

I have seen 4-prong plugs in colors other than white and brown, but those might fall into a different category as they were round and on Trimline phone.  Those might have a different number than the square ones.

poplar1

In 1967, both 283B and 505A (round) plugs were available in colors to match the set.

Section 461-630-105 Issue 1, Feb. 1967 (TCI Library)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.