News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is this? Another foreign brass phone.

Started by jpbales, April 03, 2019, 08:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpbales

So I decided to stop by a local antique store for the first time in a while and found this unusual (to me, at least) table telephone. I guess it's probably missing some kind of stand and/or the guts of the phone. The handset and dial are pretty cool, though. The top feels like real marble. What the heck is it?
-Jim

Key2871

That's a phone popular after the divesting of the bell system.
Made in Japan, offered in many styles, most looking the same, rotary dial in brass and marble. I never bought any because I thought that they were cheap.
KEN

rdelius

That one is missing the cradle and mouthpeice and possibly the guts. Avoid these sets. The hookswitches are junk.Some sets are made of brass but not all

Jim Stettler

They sold them as  at JC Penny's in Colorado Springs during the 1970's. I didn't care for them, but it was the first time I every saw a new telephone for sale. They had 4-5 different models.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

andre_janew

I think you may have bought a display model.

HarrySmith

I worked on one of those once for a little old lady locally here in South Florida. The dial is a cheap piece of junk. I got it to receive calls but I could not get the dial to work. She was happy that she could answer it. Yours does not appear to have any phone guts to it, just wires hanging. You could probably hook up a subset or a phone base as a subset to make it work and mount it under the table top. I don't know about that dial though. I just remembered the ringer was way down the bottom in the base.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Babybearjs

for $35.00, I guess someone could "Try" to restore it...
John

Key2871

You might be surprised, I'd just leave it alone...
KEN

jpbales

It definitely sounds like it's not worth bothering with to me!
-Jim

Global Moderators

Using the Search Function, these phones were first posted in "Hideous Phones" and there were so many, a stand alone topic was created to collect images and discussion of them - the table type phone is included in that topic showing it complete:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12349.0