"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial-less Telephones?

Started by HobieSport, October 17, 2008, 12:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HobieSport

Here's a real basic newbie question:

How were the various phones without dials used? ???

For example, how would you phone out on a dial-less candlestick?  Were you automatically connected to an operator?

Just curious, because I see lot's of good looking phones without dials, but are they essentially useless these days? :-\

Thanks, -Matt

Dan/Panther

When I was a kid in Upstate New York, we had a dialess phone, we also had a 4 digit phone number R-247.
When you picked up the phone, you tapped the cradle buttons a couple times, and a operator would come on. You would then tell her, (YES HER !, Never had a male operator), for the number you wanted to be connected to.
Dan

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

BDM

Yes, when off hook, an operator would answer. If it's local battery, then it came with a magneto sub-set.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

McHeath

I don't think this was done back in the day but you can dial a phone without using the dial.  Pick up the handset and pump the hookswitch real fast the number of times for each digit in the phone number you want to call.  7 fast hangups for a 7 etc, then pause a moment and do the next number.  I don't know if this works on VoiP or cable or any of that newfangled stuff but it works with our AT and T service and is a sure crowd pleaser. 

Perry

Here is an interesting (to me) film about the transition to dials. Gramps' grumpy resistance to the idea is kind of funny. It also shows how the dial-less phones were used back then. The original dial tone sounds kind of scary; I wonder when that was changed? It also emphasizes the "wait for dial tone" instruction:
http://www.archive.org/details/DialComesToT

You could dial out on a dial-less phone using one of the devices discussed in this thread (or just use it for incoming calls):
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=42.0

benhutcherson

I have a dial-less WE 500 set from '59.

I've also occasionally seen dial less telephones used today on special-purpose lines. My school has them on the second and third floor of the library building mounted right by the elevator-pick up the phone, and it rings directly down to the circulation desk. If you need some other extension(in the building or on campus), they can transfer you, however the primary purpose, there again, is to contact the circulation desk. Thus, a dial is not necessary. This particular one is a Cortelco-brand 554 style-it could just as easily be a rotary dial or touch tone(with the round dial) telephone. This isn't a particularly old building, either-as I recall, it was finished in '97.

andre_janew

Also keep in mind that many dial-less telephones were refurbished and provided with a dial.

Quote from: andre_janew on October 28, 2019, 07:07:15 PM
Also keep in mind that many dial-less telephones were refurbished and provided with a dial.

Wow, you just brought a 11 year old thread back to life.  :)

FABphones

From this thread I discovered the film archive (link on reply 4), and got to hear that dial tone for the first time. Did this change over the years or did it remain the same throughout?

Some old crpf threads have great info on them. We just need to use the 'search' option more to find them.  :)

Thanks for bumping this a_j.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

dsk

Quote from: FABphones on October 29, 2019, 03:38:04 AM

Some old crpf threads have great info on them. We just need to use the 'search' option more to find them.  :)

Thanks for bumping this a_j.

That was my point exactly.  ;)

countryman

Quote from: dsk on October 29, 2019, 06:03:53 AM
It is a way around it, and probably for less money than this: https://www.harriscomm.com/ablephone-ap6000-voice-activated-phone-number-and-digit-dialer.html

dsk

It seems the same device is sold under the name "Vocally" in the german speaking countries. I've watched one on eBay lately but the seller's reserve price was out of my preferred range (it did not sell).
The issue of voice dialing has been discussed here: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=22758.msg228870#msg228870
Solutions to the problem of having "operator service like back in the days" are out there  :)
I bet it would be a non-issue to build it into a VOIP router, but setting it up on a single collector basis is a nice challenge.

Edit, thanks andre janew for bumping the thread and FABphones for pointing out the video link! Enjoyed it!

andre_janew

The dial tone in the video sounds more like a buzz than what I'm used to.

Doug Rose

I love the design of this dial less Kellogg Redbar. It is a classic....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"