News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Question on light switch position 500U mushroom

Started by RotarDad, May 07, 2016, 02:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotarDad

Can someone please verify the "on" position for the nightlight switch on the 500U mushroom phone?  I am restoring one and don't have the correct switch.  I am using a multi-contact 510 unit.  I assume the "vertical" is nightlight on, and "horizontal" (turned 90 degrees clockwise) is nightlight off, but I'm not sure.  Thank you for the info!
Paul

jsowers

Paul, it's the opposite of what you said. Vertical is full brightness and off when handset is on hook. Horizontal is night light on. With the switch closed and turned clockwise, the night light is lit, if that makes more sense. With the switch open, the lamp operates only by lifting the handset.

It's hard to tell from the picture I attached, but that black 500U is lit at full brightness and the switch is vertical. I have two 500Us hooked up to transformers and they both operate this way.

Good luck in your restoration.
Jonathan

RotarDad

Thank you Jonathan!  Without some input, I would have had it backwards.... ;)   The correct 2-contact switch is going to be hard to find I'm afraid, so I plan t complete my restoration without it, and keep an eye out for the part.
Paul