News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Mushroom Light assembly - please help!

Started by RotarDad, June 18, 2016, 01:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotarDad

My 500U was missing many internal parts, including the correct light socket.  After much searching, I finally found the below part.  It is a dead-on match for the 500 Mushroom light socket except for the install of the socket on the opposite side of the bracket.   I welcome ideas on reversing the socket to make it "mushroom spec".  I'd like the result to look as correct as possible.   I have not taken one apart yet.   Thoughts??   Thank you!!
Paul

jsowers

You can try to create a small piece of metal with a bent clip on one end and a straight piece on the other, to go in between the new socket and the old lamp mount. Then you could clip that socket to it. You'd have to experiment with the length of that piece before bending it, to make sure the lamp is high enough. It would also make the lamp a bit too far away from the dial, so you may have to experiment with bending the lamp mount back a little to position the lamp where it should be.

Those sockets are made for old radio dials, I would think. You could also try just cutting the clip off, turning it around, and soldering it back on. But I'm not sure solder would hold that stiff metal together. Also it may not be tall enough using that method.

I attached a pic of the lamp mounted in a 500U for comparison's sake. You are correct that the clip faces down and not up.

Good luck trying to make it work and especially on trying to make it look original.
Jonathan

andre_janew

I'd attach it so that the clip was on the bottom of the bracket instead of being on the top.

AE_Collector

How about drilling out the rivet from the underside that is the centre pin for the bulb. Then you can rearrange the parts so that the tab faces the correct way and then use a small round or pan head bolt & nut, something like 4-40 or smaller to put it back together again. The head of the bolt will likely make a nice contact for the bulb inside the screw base.

Terry

RotarDad

Thanks guys, for the thoughts!  Terry, I think I saw a similar repair on a radio forum using a small screw - that may be the best/easiest solution.  Thanks Jonathan, for another pic for review.  The cut and solder idea is interesting- - the part would likely be fragile afterward, but it just might work.... The next step is to drill one out and see what I've got to work with.  I'll update you!  Thanks again.  This is the last part I need to fully restore my "U".....
Paul

TelePlay

Quote from: RotarDad on June 19, 2016, 12:11:52 AM
Terry, I think I saw a similar repair on a radio forum using a small screw - that may be the best/easiest solution.

Yes, you did and it may have been this restoration project (scroll about half way down or use the "Edit - Find" function for "Pilot Lamp Socket")

http://www.mcclellans.com/Zenith9S30Restoration.htm

RotarDad

John - Yes, that is exactly the one I saw.  Is that your project?  Some super attention to detail there!!  I ran across it doing all sorts of Google searches, after realizing that a vintage radio part was probably my best bet for this type of bulb socket......
Paul

TelePlay

Quote from: RotarDad on June 19, 2016, 01:46:45 AM
John - Yes, that is exactly the one I saw.  Is that your project?

No, not mine, but I agree that that project and other radio restoration projects posted online are filled with many great tips and tricks that crossover to telephones. The radio guys have more potential refurbs than telephone guys when it comes to Bakelite and plastic repair and some mechanical things like that lamp rebuild.

Stan S

I'd carefully take the assembly apart, flip the bracket the other way then 'pop rivet' it together.
Leave the part of the pop rivets center shaft left in the hole as the bulbs tip contact point.
Stan S.