News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What to look for in a candle stick?

Started by Greg G., December 10, 2009, 03:23:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I've spent all my time educating myself on desk sets, I know little about candle sticks.  But, since this one is just down the road from me, and appears to be in relatively good shape, maybe.  First thing I can think of would be to check to see if the transmitter and receiver elements are present.  Does the end of the receiver just screw off?  What about the transmitter?  Does that sound like a fair starting price?  (Of course I would try to dicker with them some.)

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/atq/1500915904.html ( dead link 04-06-21 )
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bingster

The transmitter assembly is screwed in place, but this one takes the later transmitter cartridges, so even if it's missing, it's very easy and inexpensive to replace.  The receiver cap unscrews just like handset caps do.  Since the transmitter has been upgraded, you'll probably also find that the element in the receiver has been replaced by a cartridge type, too.  All in all, I think it's a very nice phone at a decent price, except for one thing--there appears to be a hole drilled in the front of the base. 
= DARRIN =

LarryInMichigan

I think that the price may be a bit high since the subset is not included, and there is only one cord, which appears to be somewhat tattered.  I would also be concerned about the hole in the base.  Perhaps it was drilled to accommodate a lamp switch.  I would ask if there is a hole in the top also.  This past June, I bought a WE 20AL candlestick, with the subset and original cloth cords, which were in excellent condition, for $100 at a local flea market.

Larry

Dan/Panther

Here is what to watch out for....many copies that can fool you.
D/P

http://www.oldphoneman.com/Fakes.htm

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan/Panther

Was there an update to this post. Did the phone turn out authentic or ?
D/P

Dennis Markham

As a side note, when posting something for discussion that requires a link to an off-site web page, it's great if the person making the post can save and post the photo (if possible) so it will remain after the posting is gone, such as what occurred here.  Rather than just link to eBay or Craigslist, try and capture the image in addition so that we can see it long after the listing has closed.

Thank you.

Dan/Panther

That is precisely why I proposed a photo gallery.
D/P

bingster

I don't think there was any question as to it's authenticity.  As I recall, it looked exactly as it should, except for the odd hole in the front, which brought troubling thoughts of invasive tinkering.
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

I don't know what I was thinking when I posted what I said about a photo gallery, a photo gallery would in no way have helped with the problem of off site links.
I owe Dennis an apology for my brain Fart. If I would have been thinking I would have realized it's a different problem altogether.
I will agree, l that if we have questions about a phone listed off site, try to capture a photo and add it in you post, so we will have a record after Craig's dumps the ad.
Again Dennis my apology for jumping the gun.
D/P

Dennis Markham

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan/Panther on January 21, 2010, 06:35:51 PM
Was there an update to this post. Did the phone turn out authentic or ?
D/P

I never followed up on it.  I wasn't really in the market for a candle stick phone.  But now that I have a piece of artwork depicting one, I suppose I have to get a phone to go with it.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bingster

You need to take the fancy stuff out of that cabinet and put phones in there!
= DARRIN =

Phonesrfun

Greg:

Your phones have multiplied since I was last there.

-Bill
-Bill G

Greg G.

What would be cool is to get an apartment phone and wire it up in place of that door intercom/buzzer on the wall above the small bookcase, where the NEC is sitting.  I wonder how difficult that would be?
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

That would depend on the kind of line that is used between the front door and your unit.  It may be entirely possible with very little effort, or it may be a big hassle.  It would all depend on how it is wired right now.  I think if the intercom on the door serves as the master, you may be in luck, although it would take some testing.  If your intercom has a simple button for activating the front door, that would also be a piece of cake.

If it can be made to work, I would not tell the landlord, though.

;D

-Bill
-Bill G