Main Menu

WE 500 5-54 Black Soft Plastic

Started by Craig T, February 08, 2010, 04:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which cover do you think looks nicer?

The black and white Bell logo
The period dial card

Craig T

Well I tried my hand at shining up a soft plastic phone. I still need to clean up the feet, thanks for the advice Dennis. The phone is 5-54 throughout.

I wound up using some show polish on the handset to turn it black again. I was surprised that the majority of the black shoe polish stayed on while I was using the other polishes after it.

This phone went real fast. I was done in 2 hours or less, all by hand too. Novus #2 really took care of the job fast on this soft plastic. It made the black color vibrant and shiny. The cord is spotless, shiny and soft again, but it could use that D/P cord tightening also.

If you would be so kind, please give me your vote on the dial card you thinks looks best. Thanks!

You may remember this phone from here...

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1679.0

LarryInMichigan

My phones don't come out looking that good :(  I assume that you left the $1 sticker on the phone in the first picture to make us all jealous.

Regarding dial cards, I usually prefer real ones with phone numbers, if they are in good condition.

Larry

Phonesrfun

I just voted for the period card.  My vote was based on the logic that if you have a real one, my vote would be to use it.  Naturally, if you don't have a real one, the logo card looks great too.  Actually, I also like the black background with white logo on the black phone.  That is a nice touch.  So there.  I have just contradicted myself.

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G

Craig T

Hi Larry, sorry bout the sticker, these are the only before photos I had  :-\

Truth is this was a excellent candidate, it had nothing but some fine scratches and grime from hand oils and such. The bakelite was worn off on the top of the handset, but the shoe polish worked out well for it.

I had to run out of the house a minute, but I just loaded up a photo with the original dial card in it.

Thanks for your advice everyone. -Craig

Doug Rose

"ain't nothing like the real thing baby".......Doug
Kidphone

McHeath

Nice lookin' phone, shiny black is always a winner.  I like dial cards, and voted for it, but the old time bell logo looks good also, I'm just partial to dial cards. 

bingster

I voted for the Bell logo, since the dial card isn't period-correct for a 1954 phone.  A dial card in 1954 would not have had an area code on it, and would have either been a black card with a white center (the old standard card), or an all white card with an exchange & number.
= DARRIN =

Craig T

I assumed it was period because it was with the phone when I bought it. It was still the only phone in use in that house also! Thanks for setting me straight Bingster  :)

Dennis Markham

It probably got changed out somewhere along the way (the dial card).  I'd imagine in 1953 it had an exchange card of some type.  Maybe later when the area codes came on scene the card was replaced with an Area Code and 7 numbers card.  Often those old ones are hidden beneath....what I call a "bonus" card.

Dan

Nice job, I always prefer a real phone # card, because I don't think they were ever issued with a logo card.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Craig T

I see what you guys mean, dial card should have been like this one from John S.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1842.0

Dennis Markham

Craig, 

There are probably several cards that would be time period correct for that phone.  There are some posted here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1316.0

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan on February 08, 2010, 08:27:16 PM
Nice job, I always prefer a real phone # card, because I don't think they were ever issued with a logo card.

Dan,
Phone company display  phones would sometimes use logo cards. I have 3 500 sets w/ factory Bell Logo cards.

6/58 clear F# set from a telephone company  display (green tint card).
(2/58) Red Teletrainer phone w/ grey bell emblems.
(10/59) lt. blue Teletrainer phone w/ grey bell emblems.

Bell used to bring teletrainers to schools to teach kids how to use the phone.

When I was in Kindergarden  (1966-67), They brought in a green teletrainer, 500 and 1500.

Jim S.

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan/Panther

For display purposes I like the look of the Bell Logo matching the phone color. I also like period cards IF they have some form of graphics on them, not just plain round card with typed numbers.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jester

Correct card or not, that's one nice looking 500, Craig.  And that handset came out sharp, too.
Stephen