and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

(Boring) Another presidential phone

Started by JorgeAmely, May 18, 2010, 12:17:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JorgeAmely

Jorge

AE_Collector

And here I would have thought that by 1961 the first lady would have sprung for one of the new fangled colored phones. Shows what I know!  ???

Terry

McHeath

Hmmm.

I like how they do not bother to actually show us the supposed writing on the bottom that tells it was somehow linked to the Kennedy admin White House.  

So what's the general consensus about these White House phones that keep showing up?  Scam, real McCoy, someplace in between?

JorgeAmely

Terry:

This is the federal government you are talking about. They are supposed to be thrifty and use the tax payer's money wisely.  ;) ;)

McH:

Scam.
Jorge

Phonesrfun

Quote from: McHeath on May 18, 2010, 12:26:04 AM
Hmmm.

I like how they do not bother to actually show us the supposed writing on the bottom that tells it was somehow linked to the Kennedy admin White House.  

So what's the general consensus about these White House phones that keep showing up?  Scam, real McCoy, someplace in between?

All it takes is a laser jet to make a dial center, and I have seen that particular dial center.  One place that I have seen a real one of these is on the LBJ 707 Air Force One that is at the Boeing Flight Museum in Seattle.  There are a couple of rotary call director and other phones on board.  It is my understanding that they are authentic, but hey, even a museum curator has a color laser printer these days, so who really knows for sure.

-Bill G

Jim Stettler

Jackie is credited with the black Princess phone.

White house phones do exsist. I have a couple of them, mine were bought pre internetand early internet (pre repro cards). I also recall when an ATCA member bought a "lot" of them thru a goverment auction and was selling them cheap. These days repro cards are avaliable and I get wary. The no returns make me wonder if the ink is wet on the dial card.

The "sticker" on this one smells a bit.

Just be careful and aware if you bid on this one.

JMO,
Jim

$50 is a decent price if it turns out to be real. Kinda pricey and embarassing if it isn't.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Greg G.

I'll give them the benefit of a doubt and say they are just naive or ignorant, but I would have to see a clear picture of the bottom, including the sticker.  Even then, I would have my doubts.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Russ Kirk

I'm amazed at how many eBay sellers don't take good photos.  This seller took more photo space showing us the USPS box and the floral print couch rather than the telephone.  That is another sign that they are hiding something. 

Russ.....
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Dan/Panther

If I had ANY kind of proof that the phone was used in the Whitehouse by Jackie Kennedy, I guarantee you it would be worth more than $50.00.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson