News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 302 simple questions (I hope)

Started by captroosh, February 15, 2019, 01:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdelius

The 48 V is the DC line voltage. If you did not change the meter to AC the ringer voltage is not being measured properly

captroosh

OK did not know that? Definitely was dc voltage. Now poplar1 said I need 40volts to fire the tube so that' would be 40Volts AC then. I will test again and be back.
Capt. Roosh.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

rdelius

The tube has black paint on it but when the tube fires, you will see a orange or purple glow through any scratches in the paint

captroosh

Didn't have a lot of time to play in the last couple days. However I did scratch some paint off the tube and saw it glow in operation.  I measured the ac voltage across L2 and ground where the ringer wires are connected.  The best i got was about 10 to 12 volts. Just to see I also measured against L1 and L2 and got about 70 volts. Tomorrow I am going to check the voltage on my 500 phone ringer.
Capt. Roosh.

rdelius

Your tube is firing so it is good. Try reversing the ringer wires and make sure the clapper can move freely

captroosh

Tried reversing ringer wires got only 5v AC. Flapper didn't even move. I even tried returning tip and ring to original polarity. No appreciable difference in performance.  Still want to reconnect my 500 and see what voltage is produced. I did ere before when I said I checked voltage on L2 and ground. It was L2 and K. The ground terminal is not connected in the 2 wire setup.
Capt. Roosh.

Babybearjs

I found a solution to this when I was trying to get a 306 working. replace the condenser with a 195A and wire it like a 302. then wire the tube as shown in the 306. both the tube and condenser should make it work.... it did with mine. if all else fails, remove the tube and just wire it as a 302. if you want, you can add a #5 or #6A dial at a later time.  Good luck!
John

captroosh

Just did some further examination. condenser is a 195c. Not sure if I will go with the 195A or the1 micro farad capacitor. done playing for the day. night all
Capt. Roosh.

captroosh

Just received a 195A condenser. Gonna wire it in tomorrow. Will Keep ya updated
Capt. Roosh.

captroosh

Well hooked up the 195A condenser and disconnected the 372A tube. It now rings. Not as loud as my 500 but it is working. A little trial and error with the wires but all is well. Thank you to everyone for all your help.
Capt. Roosh.