Main Menu

Look what Santa brought me ...

Started by JorgeAmely, June 02, 2009, 11:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JorgeAmely

... just when I thought he was asleep in the North pole. :o
Jorge

Sargeguy

Not bad!  A shame you couldn't find a cord that matches.  I have a red modular one I'll trade you for that ugly gray one. ;D
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

JorgeAmely

Sir, excellent point. However, in general, the gray cord is more desirable than a matching color cord because they used these before they knew how to make colored curly cords (that is the story that I hear from the experts).

... let me think about your offer ...   ???

Naaaah. Don't worry and thanks for the offer, I really don't want to bother you with swapping your modern red modular cord for this ugly gray fat cord.  ;)
Jorge

Sargeguy

I can throw in a modular line cord.  Its gray.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

McHeath

I'll see your modular handset and line cords and raise you a modular 500 shell, painted in the color of your choice! ;)

Where do youse guys find all these cool phones? 

JorgeAmely

Jorge

Dan

It that the one that went for $81.55 or so on ebay last week?
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

JorgeAmely

Ejem ... ejem ... Your honor, I take the fifth.  ;D
Jorge

Dan

I recognize it! Great buy. I have a soft 501 and 500 in red now, but I love the gray cord!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Jester

Jorge,
I notice the no. card support plate is missing.  Does anyone know of a CHEAP source for these, or are we forced to fabricate replacements out of 18 ga. sheet stock from the local Ace Hardware?  Also, is there anyone reproducing open center fingerwheels?
Stephen

Dennis Markham

Jester, I have seen parts like this for sale from time to time on eBay.  You just have to keep your eyes open.  Also, one of the benefits of being a member of the phone club(s) is that members can put "wanted" notes on the List Serve and often collectors will have the part(s) one needs.  As I began to buy 500 sets off eBay or from other places, many of the hard plastic sets made up through about 1964 or 1965 hand the open center finger wheel.  Since the hard finger wheels are available at places like PhoneCo I'd take off the open center wheels and save them for future use, replacing them with the later versions.  I could then re-sell the sets or begin my parts pile.

Older open center wheels are thicker than the later made wheels.  Many on the 202 Continental sets have a different method of attaching to the dial hub than what we're used to with the 500 sets.  So there are a couple of varieties out there.  I don't know of anyplace that sells "new" reproduction wheels but there may be someplace out there.

JorgeAmely

Hi Jester:
I have some WE500 in late ABS plastic ready to donate some replacement parts. Those are phones that I have picked in the past for $10-20 off FleaBay, excuse me, eBay.
Jorge