News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Late 1800s Icebox?? No, more likely an old Gramophone or similar use cabinet

Started by Doug Rose, February 21, 2021, 02:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

This was Janet's great aunts who was born in the late 1800s. It has been sitting in my basement for 3.5 years since we cleaned out her father's house and move him in with us. It got buried under junk, so today was the day.

This was so covered with "stuff" and the poly was lifting and breaking apart. Kind of a mess. I am not a big fan of poly on wood, but that's just me.  I did not even know there was brass on it until the cleanup.

Medium steel wool removed what was not wanted. I spent a bit more time on the brass, but did not want it real shiny.

Howardsrestorafinish Dark Oak and it came out really nice. It is thirsty and will need another coat.

Is this really and old Icebox?? It is made well and it is fairly heavy, I had to huff and puff to get it on my workbench. Yes I am a tough guy  :o

Not sure if it is missing any pieces, but this will make a nice table for Jan. I do enjoy working on the old wood.

Any thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated.

Jan bought a 12 pack of Blue Moon Light sky as a payment. It is very good and only 95 calories!...Doug
Kidphone

RB

Doug.
That thing does not look like an ice box.
I believe an icebox would have been lined with metal???
It appears to be well made, but seemingly for some other purpose.
There is no insulation in there, or a drain...
Does not look factory made either???
I'm stumped. ???

Key2871

RB is correct. Lined with tin and much thicker wood, the door would have very heavy duty hardware.
And the top wouldn't open, just the front door, with wire racks in slides on the inside.
It's likely a pie safe. A place to let pies cool and be stored.
But with those pictures I can't really see vent holes in the back or sides to allow for air movement.
KEN

allnumbedup

My opinion is that you have a late period 1920's  Arts and Crafts style cellarette AKA a "vice cabinet" of the time. We would call it a liqueur cabinet. It is in the mission style probably not made by one of the big companies like Limbert, Stickley, or Shop of the Crafters based on its construction elements, but probably not a one off.  The hint that it is for liqueur is the lock and thick wood--probably had a pull out 'lazy susan' type tray insert. The brass on arts and crafts furniture was never shiny and the wood usually fumed or duller finish--often hand worked shellac.  These pieces were usually made in a very masculine style and even the best of them are at least a little bit ugly--but you got to love em. google 'arts and crafts cellarette" for similar pieces
Analog Phones for a Digital World

Key2871

I never gave a liquor cabinet a thought..
That makes more sense than a pie safe.
KEN

FABphones

Could you add a few extra photos; with the doors open and closer pics of inside? Can't quite see what is in there.

If looking for a makers mark, as well as the rear look inside the doors, underneath, and some makers marked the legs.

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

CJ.....here are some better inside pics. Top does not secure and just lifts off. It has a grove for your fingers. Looks like there could have been a shelf as there are pieces of wood for one to sit into.

Two small shelves on side.

It is 31" tall by 19" by 19". I cannot find a marking anywhere on it.

Janet was always told this was an Icebox so that is where I came up with that.

It is a fine piece of furniture, made right!...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

on the bottom you cannot see this, I caught it listing the pics. Looks like it is in yellow but cannot read it
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I knew something was off on this, I found another huge piece of wood in back of the oil tank.....The top of this!!!

It snaps on the top and the other shelf with the finger grip is a sliding drawer.

I thought I remembered another piece to this, but I thought it was a shelf on the inside.

Still needs another coat of Howards after a fine steel wool sand. This is really heavy!......Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

My guesses, not an ice box. Now I can see the doors they are not thick enough. No sign of a zinc lining or where one may have been removed. No air holes for ventilation (that I can see) so not a larder cupboard. The top pull out looks like a slide out work surface, for when a bit more counter surface was needed. May have been a kitchen dry stores cupboard. Liqueur cabinet maybe, but didn't they have locks on (but maybe not that one)? I would say definitely missing a shelf, but easy enough to make another for that space.
:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Scott

An interesting mystery for sure. Kind of gives me an Oriental feel by the look of the hinges. Knobs seem to not be original in my opinion. I have seen record player cabinets that look a little like that but those short shelves confuse me. Maybe something was supposed to slide into those slots. Like bar tools if is was a liquor cabinet. Can't wait to see if the mystery will be solve. Thanks for posting. All the best to everyone.

Scott K.

Doug Rose

It is finished and Jan is happy the way it turned out. Cleaned up and ready to pass it down to the kids....in due time....Doug
Kidphone